[stylist] Feedback request please

Brad Dunse' lists at braddunsemusic.com
Sun Oct 30 03:32:51 UTC 2011

Lori,

Thanks. That war has always been different for me
than other wars, probably because the 60's were,
I don't know, the 60's. And even though I was
pretty young, I just love that whole era. Much
different than today. I was thinking we need a
little more of:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KtScrqtbc>This Song in today's world.

Brad

On 10/29/2011  10:03 PM loristay at aol.com said...
>Brad, I loved the song.  I was around during the
>Viet Namese conflict.  The airforce tried to
>recruit me, but my eyesight wasn't strong
>enough.  Discrimination, early on.  Oh well.
>Lori -----Original Message----- From: Brad
>Dunse' <lists at braddunsemusic.com> To: Writer's
>Sat, Oct 29, 2011 3:31 pm Subject: [stylist]
>Feedback request please Feedback of any willing
>sort is welcome :). Pasted from Word so for me
>carriage returns "look" extra but I don't think
>they  actually appear as such visually, not sure
>though. Vietnam Memorial Wall With gear hanging
>over both shoulders, canvas pack-straps and
>their buckles digging in my sweat-drenched skin,
>nervous fingers on both hands re-gripping their
>assigned provisions every ten steps, I huffed my
>way through the crowds of uniformed soldiers.
>Picking my way across the grounds into a
>slightly wooded area, I finally was able to drop
>my bags with a deep sigh, flex my shoulders, and
>stretch my back a bit. The tree allowed a shady
>escape from the baking sun. Mid-morning temps
>were already in the 80Â’s with matching
>humidity­they said it would be like this­; and
>the mercury was meant to reach into the 90Â’s
>today. Under the cover of shade, I took in the
>action around me; and in amazement, I began to
>wonder what the day might look like in
>hindsight. A bit nervous of what to expect, I
>mean the sight of battle experienced Vietnam
>soldiers walking about, and my taking part in
>something like this Â
, I knew I would have a
> [...]
>Capitol grounds in St. Paul, Minnesota; at a
>kickoff event for what the governor of Minnesota
>declared as Vietnam Day. So why was I there? It
>wasnÂ’t because I served a tour in Vietnam, I
>was born about a decade and a half too late for
>that. Besides my age (though I probably didnÂ’t
>know it at 18-years old), there was a hereditary
>disease slowly scattering throughout my retinas
>affecting my peripheral and night vision which
>likely would have sent me back 4F, preventing me
>from serving in the military. If that would have
>not stopped my being shipped out, eventually
>from mere survival of the fittest, some Asian
>would have carved my name in the Memorial Wall
>with the business end of his weapon. So just
>exactly what was I doing there at Vietnam Day? I
>was invited by a grass roots effort to come and
>play some music, sort of 1960Â’s protest style,
>only we werenÂ’t protesting, we were joining the
>proclamation and recognition of the brave men
>and women who served in Vietnam. A compilation
>CD of Vietnam songs designed to help heal
>emotional wounds, and not let the world forget
>what suffering went on back then was released,
>and a song I co-wrote was picked as the featured
>song for the CD. The song I wrote with two other
>writers is called “The Wall.” The folks that
>put on the compilation project wanted me to come
>out and play some music, and of course play the
>featured song on the CD. So we set up the small
>gear out on the large grounds of the celebration
>and started playing tunes. We played for
>children, fellow musicians, curious event
>attendees, friends and families of soldiers who
>stopped to listen, and then they came. One of
>the gentlemen who invited me rounded the corner
>with a group of Viet Vets, metals they earned
>clinking as they milled about and then he said,
>“Brad, why don’t you play your song for these
>gentlemen?” I will tell you, I’ve played for
>many people at my gigs, but never had I been
>this nervous. I stared out with what vision I
>could muster, and saw these amazing souls
>standing before me, who all but a handful of
>decades ago were scared, brave young men
>watching their buddies tore apart right next to
>them in fox holes, on the battle field, and
>riding in jeeps they drove; facing unknown
>emotional battles of uncertainty whether the
>local people there approaching them, men, women
>or children all equal in ability; were allies of
>safety, or enemies about to cut them down. But
>here they were, standing anxiously, staring at
>me, wanting to hear the song weÂ’d written for
>them and their buddies; and me desperately
>hoping we had gotten what they felt inside,
>right. I swallowed hard and slow, strummed a few
>strums on my guitar to anchor myself a bit, and
>started to sing: When you were searching for my
>name today I saw you standing there Man you look
>different With that silver in your hair Me, I
>havenÂ’t changed a bit Still all of twenty-one
>ThatÂ’s the thing about us spirits WeÂ’re
, here at the wall
>Mid-way through the song, with a quivering lip
>and doubts I could even make it all the way
>through without choking up, I began to feel a
>reverence for these men stronger than ever
>before; men who endured not only a very
>different battle out on the field and in the
>jungle, but also that unexpected one of betrayal
>soon after the planes wheels screeched the
>tarmac of home. I donÂ’t think one strand of my
>hair laid flat the entire length of the song,
>but I did make it through to the end. When
>finished, I was immediately swarmed with
>soldiers shaking my hand 60Â’s style, patting me
>on the back and profusely thanking me for
>writing the song. All the while it was me
>declaring indeed it was I who owe them thanks,
>and itÂ’s only a shame that the song had to be
>written at all. That was one of the, if not the,
>most nervous experience IÂ’d ever had playing
>for anyone. Prior to “The Wall” being written,
>I had been thinking pretty heavy on writing a
>song about Vietnam. Considering it, I had
>decided what better topic to write on than the
>wall, maybe the Traveling Wall? IÂ’d went back
>up on the National Memorial website, and spent
>hours up there reading profile entries that
>folks left for their loved ones. There were old
>goodbyes and present tense conversations: words
>from old high school buddies, family members
>keeping up a vigil, neighborhood friends who
>popped in after thinking about them, school
>teachers who wrote shortly after the news, and
>of course those uniquely bonded souls who served
>with them in the war Â
; excuse me Â
, “police
>action.” Reading the entries was nearly an
>addiction for me, I couldnÂ’t help myself. I was
>up on their site before dinner time, and finally
>hunger coupled with drooping eyes pulled me off
>when the sun popped up the next morning. After
>spending the night reading droves of profiles of
>21-year olds who never came back, I so much
>wanted to write a song about Vietnam and the
>wall now more than ever. About a week and a half
>from that day, having knocked around some ideas
>for a song, I open up my email and see a message
>from my writing pal. Unbeknown to him, or anyone
>really as I had not told anyone IÂ’d been drawn
>to write such a song, other than maybe my wife,
>I opened up a message from him wanting to know
>if I want in on a song about the Vietnam Wall
>and the soldiers. Naturally I was surprised and
>said sure and a few days later we had what is
>the current version of The Wall. I often wonder,
>after nearly two weeks of milling it around,
>surfing the web, staying up all night mesmerized
>by what I was reading, putting myself in the
>shoes of those kids and their surviving
>families, not saying anything to anyone about my
>desire to write such a song about the Vietnam
>Wall, and then to be approached with this
>opportunity? ­I don’t know­is that just a
>simple coincidence? Or could there have been
>more to it than that? The Wall has been played
>at a variety of places ranging from major
>commercial country radio, to web stations, to
>memorial ceremonies, to my own gigs; and I am
>very humbled it will be performed by a youth
>band raising brows up and down the east coast,
>as they play it as part of their invitation to
>perform at the National Memorial event in
>Washington DC this Veterans Day on November 11.
><http://www.braddunsemusic.com/music-45.html>Hear
>  the song in itÂ’s entirety and read the lyrics
>at:
><http://www.braddunsemusic.com/music-45.html>http://www.braddunsemusic.com/music-45.html
>Brad Dunse "The naive believes everything, But
>the sensible man considers his steps."
>--Proverbs http://www.braddunsemusic.com
>http://www.facebook.com/braddunse
>http://www.twitter.com/braddunse
>your account info for stylist:
>http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/loristay%40aol.com
>your account info for stylist:
>http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/lists%40braddunsemusic.com

Brad Dunse

"If you're fishing buddy says 'Get me a hook will
ya?' and you spill your tackle box reaching for
your writing bag..." You might be a songwriter. --Capt'n Frank