[stylist] Feedback request please

Brad Dunse' lists at braddunsemusic.com
Sun Oct 30 18:38:15 UTC 2011

Thanks Barbara. There are many similarities with
current  wars we're involved in, but I don't
think we'll socially allow  patriotic betrayal towards the soldiers again.

Brad

On 10/30/2011  07:48 AM Barbara Hammel said...
> [...]
>bet)--and one who talk about it and the other
>was wounded and wouldn't.  I have never sat and
>talked to the one who talks but I've read enough
>things to feel such animosity toward those who
>treated the soldiers so poorly when they came
>home.  You can hate a war, but when your
>government sends folks to fight for what it
>thinks are causes to fight, how can you hate
>those doing what they were told. It seems like
>songwriters get this.  Current wars will have
>just as much conflicting history one day and yet
>I've not heard a negative song. Thank you for
>sharing this beautiful thought put to music.
>Barbara Let every nation know whether it wishes
>us well or ill, that we shall pay any price,
>bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any
>friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the
>survival and the success of liberty.--John F.
>Kennedy -----Original Message----- From: Brad
>Dunse' Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:24 PM
>To: Writer's Division Mailing List Subject: Re:
>[stylist] Feedback request please Barbara, Try
>either
><http://www.braddunsemusic.com/music-45.html>clicking
>this link or going to:
>http://www.braddunsemusic.com/music-45.html And
>then scroll down to find the link to play the
>MP3 in either hi fi or low fi Thanks. Brad On
>10/29/2011  08:41 PM Barbara Hammel said... >I
>liked it.  I couldn't access the links,
>though.  I want to hear that >song. Barbara Let
>every nation know whether it wishes us well or
>ill, that >we shall pay any price, bear any
>burden, meet any hardship, support any >friend,
>oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival
>and the success of >liberty.--John F. Kennedy
>-----Original Message----- From: Brad
>Dunse' >Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:30 PM
>To: Writer's Division Mailing List >Subject:
>[stylist] Feedback request please Feedback of
>any willing sort is >welcome :). Pasted from
>Word so for me carriage returns "look" extra but
>I >don't think they  actually appear as such
>visually, not sure though. >Vietnam Memorial
>Wall With gear hanging over both shoulders,
>canvas >pack-straps and their buckles digging in
>my sweat-drenched skin, nervous >fingers on both
>hands re-gripping their assigned provisions
>every ten >steps, I huffed my way through the
>crowds of uniformed soldiers. Picking my >way
>across the grounds into a slightly wooded area,
>I finally was able to >drop my bags with a deep
>sigh, flex my shoulders, and stretch my back
>a >bit. The tree allowed a shady escape from the
>baking sun. Mid-morning temps >were already in
>the 80’s with matching humidity­they said
>id it would be >like this­; and the mercury
>was meant to reach into the 90̢۪s
>today. >Under the cover of sf shade, I took in
>the action around me; and in amazement, >I began
>to wonder what the day might look like in
>hindsight. A bit nervous >of what to expect, I
>mean the sight of battle experienced Vietnam
>soldiers >walking about, and my taking part in
, I knew I woould >have a
> [...]
>So why was I there? It wasn̢۪t because I
>served a  a >tour in Vietnam, I was born about a
>decade and a half too late for that. >Besides my
>age (though I probably didn̢۪t know it at
>18-years old), there >was a heredieditary
>disease slowly scattering throughout my retinas
>affecting >my peripheral and night vision which
>likely would have sent me back 4F, >preventing
>me from serving in the military. If that would
>have not stopped >my being shipped out,
>eventually from mere survival of the fittest,
>some >Asian would have carved my name in the
>Memorial Wall with the business end >of his
>weapon. So just exactly what was I doing there
>at Vietnam Day? I was >invited by a grass roots
>effort to come and play some music, sort
>of >1960̢۪s protest style, only we weren̢۪t
>p¬â„¢t protesting, we were joining
>the >proclamation and recognition of the brave
>men and women who served in >Vietnam. A
>compilation CD of Vietnam songs designed to help
>heal emotional >wounds, and not let the world
>forget what suffering went on back then
>was >released, and a song I co-wrote was picked
>as the featured song for the CD. >The song I
>wrote with two other writers is called “The
>WaWall.â€Â The folks >that put on the
>compilation projecct wanted me to come out and
>play some >music, and of course play the
>featured song on the CD. So we set up the >small
>gear out on the large grounds of the celebration
>and started playing >tunes. We played for
>children, fellow musicians, curious event
>attendees, >friends and families of soldiers who
>stopped to listen, and then they came. >One of
>the gentlemen who invited me rounded the corner
>with a group of Viet >Vets, metals they earned
>clinking as they milled about and then he
>said, >“Brad, whwhy don’t you play your
>song for these gentlemen?ââ” I will
>tell >you, I̢۪ve played for many peoplople at
>my gigs, but never had I been this >nervous. I
>stared out with what vision I could muster, and
>saw these >amazing souls standing before me, who
>all but a handful of decades ago were >scared,
>brave young men watching their buddies tore
>apart right next to >them in fox holes, on the
>battle field, and riding in jeeps they
>drove; >facing unknown emotional battles of
>uncertainty whether the local people >there
>approaching them, men, women or children all
>equal in ability; were >allies of safety, or
>enemies about to cut them down. But here they
>were, >standing anxiously, staring at me,
>wanting to hear the song we̢۪d written >for
>them and their buddies; and me de desperately
>hoping we had gotten what >they felt inside,
>right. I swallowed hard and slow, strummed a few
>strums >on my guitar to anchor myself a bit, and
>started to sing: When you were >searching for my
>name today I saw you standing there Man you look
>different >With that silver in your hair Me, I
>haven̢۪t changed a bit Still all ol
>of >twenty-one That̢۪s the thing about us
>spirits Ws We̢۪re forever young At the >wall

, here at the  the wall Mid-way through the
>song, withh a quivering lip >and doubts I could
>even make it all the way through without choking
>up, I >began to feel a reverence for these men
>stronger than ever before; men who >endured not
>only a very different battle out on the field
>and in the >jungle, but also that unexpected one
>of betrayal soon after the planes >wheels
>screeched the tarmac of home. I don‬™t think
>one strand of my hair >laid flat the entire
>llength of the song, but I did make it through
>to the >end. When finished, I was immediately
>swarmed with soldiers shaking my hand >60̢۪s
>style, patting me on the ba back and profusely
>thanking me for writing >the song. All the while
>it was me declaring indeed it was I who owe
>them >thanks, and it̢۪s only a shame that the
>song ha had to be written at all. >That was one
>of the, if not the, most nervous experience
>I̢۪d ever had >playing fg for anyone. Prior to
>“The Wallâ€Â being written,ten, I had
>been >thinking pretty heavy on writing a song
>about Vietnam. Considering it, I >had decided
>what better topic to write on than the wall,
>maybe the >Traveling Wall? I̢۪d went back up
>on the National Memorial websibsite, and >spent
>hours up there reading profile entries that
>folks left for their >loved ones. There were old
>goodbyes and present tense conversations:
>words >from old high school buddies, family
>members keeping up a vigil, >neighborhood
>friends who popped in after thinking about them,
>school >teachers who wrote shortly after the
>news, and of course those uniquely >bonded souls
>who served with them in the war
; excuse me
,