[stylist] Grammar question

loristay at aol.com loristay at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 18:17:08 UTC 2011

I'm in agreement.  The proper form is:  There are only three.

I came across an interesting poser in the newspaper the other day.  An ad said, "Brothers is ready to help you get new windows."  Brothers is?  But it turns out that "Brothers" is the name of a company.  So to say in this case, Brothers are ready... is confusing and incorrect.

The same confusion might occur in conversation.  However, dialogue that actually occurs between people is rarely completely grammatical.

So you might hear:  "There's only three."  Have the person write it down in a letter, and I expect he or she would correct the grammar.
Lori