[stylist] Nonfiction, As I Lay Me Down to Sleep, no language, no sex, sorry ha-ha!

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Fri Sep 9 12:46:11 UTC 2011

Hey Bridgit,

I enjoyed this--thanks for sharing. And I hope that eventually you got some
sleep! I suppose you can take that as the sign that you've made it to the
big leagues when the muse keeps you awake and forces you out of bed and to
the keyboard.

You didn't ask for a critique, but some of the things I liked about this
piece were your reference to the rabbit hole, which ties in nicely with the
dreaming later on.
they breathe into the ebony silence, chiseling solid darkness  is a really
nice line. I can't say why, but I love 'ebony silence'.
This piece strikes me almost as a longish prose poem. I've read it through
twice, and it seems that the 'you' in the piece is God, whom at first is
comforting, but suddenly isn't. The sound obviously triggers a bad memory, a
time when you felt abandoned by God, then it's as if the fears and magical
feelings dissipate and you are once again in bed with your very real
husband.

Again, thanks for sharing.

chris