[stylist] Writing workshops

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 21 00:51:16 UTC 2011

Brenda,

I completely understand your situation. As I said, it was just another
option to consider. Most writing groups do operate by sharing and
reading work. This is essentially how it worked in my classes. One thing
to keep in mind is that, whether school or writing group, there are some
things you can do to participate in groups like this.

Have participants email copies of their work they plan to share so you
have a version to read independently with a computer or notetaker. They
can also bring their work on a flash drive so you can pull it up on a
computer or notetaker.

Reading out loud can be problematic for a lot of blind people, and I
think it is more in part because we're never expected to read out loud,
so even the best Braille user is self-conscious when asked to read out
loud. I've handled this a couple of ways as I can't read Braille quick
enough for this purpose. 1. I've memorized pieces so I can read my own
work. I love reading out loud, and I have a background in theatre and
even minored in it at university, so I miss this. Memorizing sections
allowed me to read my own work. 2. I've had a fellow classmate read a
section for me. Usually there is someone willing to assist with reading
your work.

I say don't think you can't participate because it seems difficult.
Usually there are simple solutions. This is in no way a criticism,
though. It's tough living in an area with bad, or no, public
transportation. And a family doesn't allow a mom to have much free time!
*smile*

I was just offering an option not always considered, and as I mentioned,
online classes are a good way to learn as well. Atty and others have
learned a lot this way.

Good luck; we look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan