[stylist] Reading material out loud

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 22 00:38:09 UTC 2011

I've read out loud repeating what I hear JAWS speak, but it's not the
easiest thing. It depends on how long something is, and the situation.
I'll slow JAWS down a bit, but not much since I don't want to speak so
slow, or with to long of pauses, that it makes listening to me
distracting. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

My chapter now distributes secretary minutes via email before meetings,
but when I was first secretary, we still had to read minutes out loud
during meetings. I just repeated what JAWS said. It worked pretty well,
but I was also reading what I'd written, and meeting records are usually
not the same as a piece of writing like essays or short stories.

In my classes, if we worked on short exercises like rewriting a sentence
or writing a para on something or creating character lists, I'd read
independently what I wrote down with JAWS. When workshopping my
manuscripts, we usually read a para or two up to a page or two before
peers gave their feedback. Depending on how busy I was, I'd either
memorize an excerpt so I could do it out loud with Braille notes just in
case, or I'd ask a friend in class to read for me.

Either way, it worked.

With my Netbook laptop, to read sentence-to-sentence, it's the alt key
and up or down arrow. Of course, word-to-word is the insert and left or
right arrow.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: