[stylist] Media Kit PDF

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 25 22:46:27 UTC 2011

To simplify this process, I found a PDF for my final media kit project
for my final public relations writing class. Media kits are various
info-based documents  compiled to be distributed to media outlets that
cover a story or event a person/group does. I'm attaching the pdf to
this message. I know attachments don't always work in Stylist, so if it
doesn't, and you want the attachment, just email me off list and I can
send it. I received an A on this project, and my instruct has more than
25 years practical experience working in PR and media relations and more
than 15 years teaching it, if that matters to anyone. Included in the
PDF are:

Media kit cover letter
Backgrounder
Fact sheet
News release
Feature story
Brochure
Talk points
Radio PSA
I created and wrote each of these on my own including the brochure and
letter head each document is in. I also have individual copies of each
document if anyone wishes an individual one. These were originally
created as MS Word docs.

I'm also pasting the media kit assignment I was given. It's purpose was
to help my class go through the criteria, and since I can't find a
handout on media kits themselves, this will at least provide some info
on what a media kit is and what should be included in the kit.

You will compile a media kit as your final project. Worth 200 points,
the kit replaces the final exam. First select a non-profit organization,
civic group, arts group, church or athletic association as the focus of
your media kit. You might choose the American Lung Foundation, for
instance, or the UNO baseball team. You could also select a campus
organization.  If you have trouble selecting something, please consult
with me.

Each media kit will feature the writing elements we've worked on this
semester. This is a good chance to showcase your talent, creativity and
mastery of PR writing. However, it is not something you can throw
together the night before it's due. Each element in your media kit
should be labeled so that an editor doesn't need to guess what he or she
is reading.

List yourself as the PR contact on each assignment. You should determine
release dates and start and kill dates based upon the information you
are conveying. Unless indicated otherwise, use 12-point type. Your media
kit should contain the following:

Folder with Cover (10)
Use a two-pocked folder in a heavy weight paper. Avoid plastic or shiny
folders - they don't work well because they pick up fingerprints. The
name, logo, address and phone number of your group must be included on
the cover of your folder so that an editor can easily identify your
organization. Remember that your cover makes the first impression, so it
should be attractive and professional looking.

However, I realize you all have varying levels of design experience. And
since this is a writing course, I am more concerned with what is inside
your folder. Arrange all your information in this folder. The first
element an editor should see is the cover letter in the right-hand
pocket. All elements must be put on the organization's letterhead except
for creative elements such as the brochure, posters or fliers. However,
they should include the logo.

Cover letter (10)

Write your cover letter in a business format and your letterhead. Keep
your letter to a single page. Write a strong opening hook then
immediately move to the main point. Remember that you are trying to
garner news coverage for your organization so highlight details that
appeal to the news values editors look for.

Your cover letter acts as a table of contents. It is a standard business
letter addressed to a specific person at a specific media outlet such as
the Omaha World-Herald. Single space and limit your letter to just one
page. List yourself as PR director, along with your phone number. You
should also sign the letter. After briefly stating the purpose of your
letter and a description of your organization, list each specific
element in your kit.

Fact sheet (10)
Make sure your fact sheet looks clean and is easy to read. If you don't
have many facts (less than a page) increase your font size to use the
entire page. Your fact sheet should appear on the letterhead of your
organization and should be one page long. Use bullets or short, concise
sentences rather than putting facts in paragraph form. Make sure your
facts are indeed facts. Avoid any statements of opinion.

Backgrounder (15)
Backgrounders shouldn't be lengthy because your recipient's time is
valuable. Every piece of information in your backgrounder should be
important. Your backgrounder should be at least a page and a half.
(Backgrounders run from two to four pages, depending on the topic.) Use
subheads to break up copy and write in a clear, concise manner. Print
your backgrounder on letterhead. Keep in mind that this is information
that will help an editor better understand an organization or an issue.

News Release (15)
Select a newsworthy event to publicize via a news release. Consult with
your organization's contact person to choose the focus for the news
release. Write a strong summary news lead and capture the important who,
what, where, when and why elements in the body of your release. Write a
full sentence headline that uses a present tense action verb. Follow AP
style. Use letterhead and follow the format for a press release. Again,
you are the contact for more information.

PSA (15)
You may write either a radio or a TV PSA. You do not need to write both.
You may also select the time of your PSA - it can be up to 30 seconds.
Make sure your PSA is timed exactly and indicate whether it's for radio
or TV. Keep your writing short and to the point, remembering to appeal
to the emotions of listeners. These are persuasive messages and your
last line should be a call to action. Print your PSA on letterhead. Use
14-point type for this element of the kit only.

Feature Story (50)
Write a feature story based on some aspect of your organization that you
think people are interested in knowing about. You may write a
personality profile about an interesting individual or feature a
specific program or event. For instance, if you selected the Henry
Doorly Zoo as your organization, you could write a feature about a new
acquisition. Whatever you select, you must draw the reader into the
story and keep him or her interested. You must interview at least one
person for this story so that you can incorporate direct quotes. Your
story should be at least two pages long and written on letterhead. You
should write a feature lead and provide readers with a mix of facts,
anecdotes and quotes. Keep your writing lively and descriptive, using
the facts and quotes to convey a clear purpose and theme.

Brochure (50)
Design and create a brochure that incorporates the organization's
mission statement and goals. This element should have a specific purpose
such as to recruit volunteers or raise money. Consistency in font size,
clarity and conciseness in text and balance in design are important
elements.

Other Elements: (Choose 2)

updates/talking points/web story (25)

Your kit should show consistency in design elements appropriate to your
organization. In all elements, you will be judged most heavily on
accuracy of writing. Overall unity in theme and creativity are also very
important.

Additional information and hints

Get started early by selecting an appropriate organization. Select a
non-profit group or a student entity that has a large enough membership
and enough diverse activities for you to write about. For example, if
you select a church, make sure it has a unique program or an unusual or
inspiring minister so that you have interesting material for a feature
story. You'll also need enough information for a PSA, fact sheet and
backgrounder.

Once you've selected your organization, contact the public relations
director or an executive staff member and set up an appointment to meet
in person or conduct a telephone conference. Fully explain who you are
and what you are doing. Most organizations will be more than happy to
help once they understand what you need. Your contact person can also
assist you in arranging sources to interview for your feature story and
photo opportunities.

Your 5-minute Power Point presentations begin Tuesday, May 3 and
continue on Thursday, May 5

If you are having problems with your media kit, whether it's getting an
interview with someone, or coming up with ideas for a PSA, make an
appointment to see me or e-mail so I can help you come up with other
ideas. I can also answer questions regarding the writing and format of
the media kit. Do not wait until the day before the kit is due to tell
me you couldn't do a feature story because your source wasn't available.
If I know about your problems in advance, we can solve them together.

Each element of your kit is worth a certain number of points. If you do
not do one of the elements, you will lose those points. Using the proper
format for each piece of writing is imperative. Don't forget to use AP
style on all news elements.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: