[stylist] Stream of consciousness

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 27 22:05:13 UTC 2011

Ashley,

In my original post I mention some well-known SOC writers, but my
favorites are Virginia Wolfe, Fitzgerald (though I disagree The Great
Gatsby is the great American novel, though I like it) and Jack Kerouac.
Annie Dillard can write in this style and Cormac McCarthy is another
contemporary example.

Free association can be done about anything. Essentially, you choose an
object/person/event and write whatever comes to mind. Or you don't need
anything as a starting point- just simply start writing what pops up in
your head. A couple of my instructors even would say, during free
association exercises, which we didn't do much of, that if all we had
was a single word or phrase, to just write it over and over until
something else comes to mind.

The difference between free association and SOC is that F A is a tool to
help a writer pinpoint an idea, capture some image in order to inspire
or at the very least to simply write. Free association is to writers
what doodling is to artist or arpeggios are to vocalist.

SOC is an actual writing technique that has a distinct style and voice.
This isn't a great example, but to simplify the definition, consider it
like a genre- it has distinct features setting it apart from other
styles of writing.

F A exercises can be done in any style dependant upon how a particular
writer writes- style, tone, voice. It's not about how you write or how
that writing sounds; it's about writing to get thoughts flowing and
geling. SOC is a literary technique that has distinct features.

I've written with a SOC voice before, but only because it seemed natural
to the piece I was working on. Oddly enough, I've never written fiction
with a SOC voice. In school, we didn't try our hands at writing
different styles like SOC unless it was natural to our writing style. We
studied different styles in the works of published authors, but with our
own writing, we worked within the framework of our own organic process
and style. We weren't discouraged from trying our hand at different
styles, but we never had to do this. You can't force style and voice on
a writer. Just like you can't expect a soprano with a high, clear pitch
with no vibrato to have rich, velvety tones.

You learn to identify voice. Though, like with some vocalist, some have
the ability to traverse between various styles and voices.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan