[stylist] off-topic, circadian cycles

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Sep 29 14:54:41 UTC 2011

I have to comment again because I tried melatonin as an ideal sleeping aid being natural and all that.
I am not saying nobody should take it, but I experienced some side-effects that finally caused me to do
some internet searching, and I found that what I experienced was right in line with some of the side-
effects listed on the Mayo Clinic's web site.  I know others that have taken it and have had no problem,
but the idea that because it is natural it is all right in any dosage is not the case.  The side-effects
I experienced were very high anxiety nightmares and some degree of confusion.  While these may not be
typical of most people, they are typical enough to be listed on the Mayo Clinic site, and I discovered
this after becoming concerned with my own experiences.  In other words, I didn't findout about the side-
effects and then fit my experiences into them, I was looking for answers for the experiences I already
had.  If one finds something that works for them they should use it, but I think there are a lot of
simple solutions proposed for sleep problems that may not really get to the root of the problem.  I've
seen attempts to treat sleep disorders as having to do with blindness when it was plain and simple
apnea, for example.  Apnea is not plain and simple, but the diagnosis should have been.  My point is
really that one needs to be careful and aware.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson