[stylist] April and a Poem Submission

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Mon Apr 2 17:34:52 UTC 2012

Barbara,
Rhyming is not normally done in the sestina or pantoum. but these days, it
is just fine to experiment and find your own way of doing things in the
spirit of the form, if not the exact form.

I am working on a ssestina right now - have been working on it for a few
days. Also working on another piece based on a myth that I love very much -
really wrestling with it and have to take breaks for a few days or weeks in
between working on it, just to get a breath of fresh air.

I really love William Carlos Williams very much and his view that a poem is
a machine - it is a vehicle of sorts.
and, the other thing that I agree with him is that the artist ( or poet) is
always and forever writing about only one thing - himself!)  I did a ton of
work on him in grad school. There were about 6 MFA and PhD students in the
class - we would often spend the entire night together just looking at ONE
pen, and explicating it for hours.  It was so exciting. We read everything
Williams published - every book, every article, plays, etc.  And, that was
the beginning of my love affair with modernism, I think. A poem can change a
person's life forrever - just one poem. It has that kind of power. Never
take what you do lightly - it is very important to others and to you as
well.
Nice talking with you today - I just pulled myself away from my sestina and
I need lunch! And, a walk with the dogs.  haha

Lynda

Lynda Lambert
104 River Road
Ellwood City, PA 16117