[stylist] humor assignment, dark commedy, short play

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Wed Apr 4 04:46:31 UTC 2012

Hi all,
Thanks so much to those who have given me feedback on the play. It was,
in many ways very much an experimental piece for me. I never aspired to
be a playwrite, as this format really wouldn't suit me. If I were to
write any kind of a script for anything other than experimentation and
practice, it would probably be a screenplay. I'd be more comfortable
writing scenes that could be played out on the screen rather than a
stage. For instance, realistically, in a play, it would be difficult to
stage a car zooming away, but in a movie or a show it's totally doable.
But I am far from being familiar with that format. The format for
playwriting is still pretty foreign to me as well, since I only took
one semester-long introductory course that taught it. I do think,
though, that it's neat to play around with various writing styles and
experiment with concepts and genres, because how else is a writer
supposed to find his or her own individual style.
It might be strange for you all to know that I, as the author of this
play also find the plot and the sceens unsettling. I never really
expected anyone to love the sequence of events that take place in it;
I'd be a little worried about someone's overall sanity if they said
they immensely enjoyed it. grins. Believe me, I felt sorry for this
fictional baby too. I even felt a bit sorry for Aubrey; I meant for her
to be a bit submissive in the beginning, so as not to alude too early
in the play that she had kidnapped the baby first. I do think though,
as bridget suggested, that I can flesh out her character a bit. I think
there may be more to her than my play allows to be seen.
I am a sucker for a happy ending just as much as anyone else, but I've
found out that, for some reason, I tend to write stories that are meant to
make a reader  somewhat uncomfortable. I tend to seek out contraversial
plots when writing fiction, although that's not always the case. I
don't know why; I guess part of me feels that there are already enough
writers who can provide a wholesome, satisfactory story with a happy
ending. That being said, I know that I am still very much in the
process of finding my voice as a writer, and I'm keen on experimenting
here and there, just to see what I can learn. I am eventually going to
find a balance between this type of sadistic, dark contraversial work
and a more widely accepted style. That way, I can creat some characters
that are loveable, and some that are disdainful, so as to come up with
more versatile pieces as a result.
Have any of you read anything by Chuck palahniuk? He tends to create
positively hanous characters, yet I can't seem to put down his novels
most of the time. I'm not trying to emulate his style because he has a
truly unique voice, but he's one good example of an author who writes
truly unsettling novels and stories.
 Chris, I had one previous version of this play, the initial rough
draft, in which the dialect was even stronger. I had written the word
"might" as "maht", for instance. But I thought that I had
overemphasized the dialect, and I cut a lot of it out. My professor had
seen that first draft before I workshopped the one I submitted here to
my class. He also commented that I didn't need to ad the dialect in as
much, and reading your comment about it makes me want to go and revise
it a bit more. So thanks. I tend to write things down exactly as I see
them or hear them in my head, hense the southern dialect. I felt that
without it, the play would be incomplete, but perhaps that's not the case.
Bridget, thanks for suggesting that I ad a bit more humor throughout
the play. I actually agree with you that the beginning is a bit too
bland and dramatic rather than funny. When I do sit down to revise
this, I'll be sure to  find places that could use a little more humor.
The character of Aubrey was a bit stereotypical as Chris had mentioned,
yes. I'm not sure why, but at the time, I thought that would add to the
humor in an unsettling way. I think I can attribute my love of dark or
unsettling commedy to the fact that I had been a huge fan of shows like
South Park all throughout high school and college. I know a lot of
people  find that show to be obnoxious and rude, but I find the irony
and humor in it all the same, even though I, too  think that a lot of
it is  in poor taiste.
Barbara and Eve, thank you for your comments as well. I am greatful for
all the various feedback, and I apreciate the constructive criticism.
Thanks again to all of you.

Sincerely,

Bernadetta