[stylist] Writing exercise: life story

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 20:57:20 UTC 2012

Andi,

First, thank you for your kind words. This was just an exercise a prof.
assigned our first day of class a year ago, and I've never shared it
outside of that class until now. As mentioned, those "issues" have not
been so directly explored before that exercise. I've had vague allusions
to it in other pieces, but it's difficult to write about. Not so much
because it drudges up personal memories and emotions, but because much
has changed about me, about my family, about our relationship. It's a
little weird and difficult to address such issues when the players are
so different now- it can feel like talking about completely different
people. And I'm just so private about myself. It can be frustrating
because often I'm judged for what people assume about me when they know
very little about me and my life. I've learned to not judge those I
don't know on a deeply personal level because not only do I think it
wrong and unfair to assume anything about a person, but because I know
from personal experience how this feels. We all have a story to tell; we
all have experiences in life that affect us both negatively and
positively. No one's individual experience should be diminished or
discredited.

I think it's important for writers to find that identifiable factor when
addressing any subject, fiction or nonfiction. This is what makes
characters come alive for readers and want to continue that journey in a
book. I was taught to always consider why do other people care about
this? Whether fiction or nonfiction, why would others want to take this
journey with me. Sometimes I figure it out, other times not so much.

I'm a deeply private person. I can be very sociable, but I really don't
share much about myself. I'm a closed book type, so when I switched my
emphasis to creative nonfiction when at university, I was thrown into
this environment where I was expected to explore and share my life. This
has not been an easy task, and when I was hired to blog for The Omaha
World Herald about my personal experiences as a diabetic and about
blindness, I really struggled, and still do, with sharing so much
personal information especially when some of it can be a bit
confessional.

I think I developed a lyrical voice in a lot of my writing and
experiment with form and structure a lot because it acts like a cushion
for me when addressing touchy topics. I do write prose that's not so
lyrical but more often than not I adopt this style of writing. I like to
explore how imagery, metaphor, diction, syntax, sentence structure and
form can be employed to tell a story. It can bring an artistry to
writing, and quite often it helps place a reader into that moment
instead of just observing.

It's always nice to hear positive feedback especially when sharing such
personal information. I appreciate you taking time to read my piece and
comment. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: