[stylist] the passive voice

loristay at aol.com loristay at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 15:00:27 UTC 2012

The easiest way to demonstrate the passive voice is to examine the use of verbs.
Active voice includes action verbs.  Passive voice includes verbs such as were, was, are, had been etc.  Non transitive verbs, that is, verbs that don't take objects. (Forgive me,  I used to be an English teacher)

Passive example:

After my hospital stay, I was home.

Active example:

After my hospital stay, I drove home.

Passive example:

Charlie was there, now that he was home.

Active example:

Charlie lived home.

Questions?
Lori