[stylist] April and a Poem Submission

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Thu Apr 12 21:10:14 UTC 2012

Jackie, I will try to answer your questions about the MFA programs.

A person can do their MFA in whatever way they have created to do it.
However, you will work with a committee during your entire process.
Everything you do goes through your committee and has to have their
approval.
It is quite different in every way than doing an undergrad degree. The MFA
is a terminal degree in literature and in fine/studio  art.

 My background in poetry goes back to the anceints though with studies in
Greek and Roman literature; Medieval, Renaissance, Romantic, etc. Along with
the literature preparations you had previously,  you will have had intense
studies in philosophy and history so that you have a good foundation on
which to understand the works of writers and artists.

Competition for a spot in any  MFA program is fierce -   very competative.
Only a select  few spots are offered in most programs each year for new
students. You have to figure out what universities have the faculty who  are
philosophically where you want to be in your own work. For each of my
degrees, I cnose universities because of the faculty I would have the
opportunity to work with. These people will be your mentors through the
program, your committee that sits in judgement of everything you say and do,
and often times will be life-long friends and professional colleagues.

The other interesting thing is that even though a person gets into a MFA
program, I have seen quite a few not make it past the first year.  Or, I
have also seen some who worked through until the final day of their program,
and then be denied the degree. That means, if they want to continue on with
their career, they must try to get into another university, and begin all
over again, from scratch.  This happened to two of my friends. One
eventually went to a different university and made it through. the other
called it quits and just left for the west coast where she built a new life
and she never did get that degree she had worked on for so long.

the work on my own  MFA spanned the distance from the ancient past (the
marks left in ancient pre-historic caves) to the present and my focus was on
the collective memory. My thesis work is titled "A Commemorative
Recollection."   Memory has always been of interest in all my studies. When
I wrote my tenure project at the college where I taught, the title of it was
"Abstraction:  The Power of Memory."

The other thing is that to get an advanced degree in English at just about
any university I know of, you must be able to write and read in at least two
different languages. You are tested in the languages of your choice and that
is a prerequesite for applying.

I had the privilege today to attend a lecture given by my former professor.
It was so wonderful to be seated there in her classroom (she is now retired)
and hear her lecturing again.  Yesterday, it was I who was lecturing at a
different classroom at a different location.  Lecturing is a very important
part of everything we do when working and in our retirement. It just keeps
on going! It is a very good life and I have not regreted my path in life for
one moment.

I do not believe in ever having a "plan B."  Because if you do, I can
guarantee that is exactly where a person will be going. If there is only a
"Plan A" than that is the only place where you will go - you have closed off
all other doors. I knew from the first day I entered college exactly where I
would be going in my career. My goal was to be a professor and there was
never any other plan for me. When I advised students i told them to do what
they love to do most of all, and to never leave that path behind and not
allow anyone else to ever take them away from their goal.

Lynda

 Lynda Lambert
104 River Road
Ellwood City, PA 16117