[stylist] What I've been reading

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 14 21:38:11 UTC 2012

Vejas,

The point of the book is to detail how cruel the world in this book is,
and what America has come to because of some prior cataclysmic war.

The "violence" isn't suppose to be comfortable or enjoyable; the point
is to draw an emotional response from the reader, not only creating a
compelling story, but to check our own sense of right and wrong. It's
very well done, I think, how Collins creates this world and adeptly
weaves in political and social issues relevant to real life.

I saw the movie opening weekend, and it is very well done as well. Most
movies based on books are complete let downs like the Harry Potter films
for fans of the books, but they actually did a pretty good job with
Hunger Games. The books are still better, but for a film adaptation,
it's not too bad.

The violence is not glorified or promoted or gratuitous in either the
book or film because the point is to show how corrupt government and
people can become even when attempting to protect. For those who know
how the story ends, you know that both the "good" and "bad" sides have
people with good and bad motives. No one is completely perfect. In order
to draw an intense and extreme emotional response to get people
thinking, Collins creates a world where children are essentially
sacrificed for the greater good, or so many think. But the point is to
not enjoy the violence, which is why Collins does not write gory details
of the violence, and the movie follows this standard as well.

The book is deeper than a simple form of entertainment. It's meant to
make us think and reflect on our own ideals and values. Personally, I
have always enjoyed literature that was more than just entertainment
even when I was younger. It's nice to retreat into a simple, happy world
at times, but it's also great to be challenged and given a complex
thought to process and mull over. I enjoyed Hunger Games not because of
the violence but for what it represents and what the over-all point of
the series is.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan

Just wanted to say, I'm in Maryland right now attending the NFB law
program. Personally I didn't really like the Hunger Games too much
because of the killing.  Are you able to overcome the killing and enjoy
it, or did you enjoy the killing itself? Vejas