[stylist] What I've been reading- The Hunger Games

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 15 22:28:54 UTC 2012

Ashley,

The Hunger Games is actually a young adult series, and the violence is
not graphic or gory. Like Chris says, the whole point of the violence is
to see how certain people choose to retain their humanity, and how
political structures are not always acting for the greater good even
when they think they are. It also has great characters. When it comes to
the violence though, it's not Stephen King violence or anything close to
it. The concept of it is disturbing, but the violence itself is not
described in great, gory detail or even focused on in terms of specific
situations. Since the series is told from a single POV, quite often the
violence happens "off-stage" as it were, meaning we are aware someone
has been killed, but since the main character, Catness, did not witness
it, the reader doesn't witness it either.

All three books are available on BARD, but for some reason, searching
under Hunger Games for the third book will not bring it up; you have to
search under the author's name or the title, which is Mockingjay. I
found all three and read them through BARD.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan