[stylist] What I've been reading- Education

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 16 05:34:33 UTC 2012

Bridgit,
I share your concerns about the declining curriculums and standards in our
schools. I know it’s a huge problem overall, not in my county, but in  other
areas. This county is affluent and we have many white collar professionals
so this area may be quite educated and insulated.
I have a number of frightening stories too; I was asked to edit papers in
upper level English classes  and they did not know the basics. Fragments,
fragments, and fused sentences were rampant! I did not know where to begin.
I think the basics of writing and grammar need to be taught in our schools
and yes let's get back to the  literature classics and thinking; we did not
analyze too much in high school, and I struggled with that in college and
still do. I'm not  a very abstract thinker. When my dad was in school they
were actually taught grammar, spelling and semantics; sadly this is not the
case in many schools today. Then we wonder why students in higher ed cannot
write well or read critically and then either get poor grades or drop out;
they are not prepared for college.
Yes we need some reforms.
Ashley