[stylist] Kurt Vonnegut's 8 rules for writing a great story

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Fri Dec 7 00:33:03 UTC 2012

Hey Atty,

I believe Vonnegut worked as a local reporter in Chicago after World War II
for a while, then as a technical writer, and I remember he worked for Sports
Illustrated for a little while. Apparently, he was assigned a piece about a
race horse that jumped a fence and ran away. He couldn't come up with
anything to write, so he typed 'The horse jumped over the fucking fence',
turned it in, and quit.

Cat's Cradle was his first published novel, and I think he was 41 or 42 when
it came out, so you are indeed correct.

chris