[stylist] How to critique films

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 16 18:07:47 UTC 2012

Vejas,

Yes, critiquing a film is similar to critiqueing a book. Explore the
depths of the film. Being blind, you may not be able to address the
visual elements such as cinematography, does the director use visual
metaphors and the actual shot itself, but there is plenty to critique.
Since this is for a history class, I assume a large portion of your
critique will be about the historical accuracy and not concerned with
the more creative aspect of films.

Pay attention to historical detail- both visual and otherwise (meaning
period costumes, setting, dialogue, movement, etc.) and draw any
comparisons to the creative elements and the historical ones; why did
the director shoot a certain way; does the visual quality of the film do
anything for the historical setting. For example, in the most recent
Sherlock Holmes movies, each shot is filmed with a golden-like quality,
almost like an old photo. Also, does the music heighten the historical
aspect of the film?  And of course, observe the details in setting and
scene comparing them to known historical facts.

To make it simple, reflect upon how you critique a book and apply that
to a film.

Which version of Marie Antoinette are you watching? If it's the most
recent version starring Kirsten Dunst, there's a few things to consider:
One, the film was directed by a woman, and she was intentional in
fleshing out the modern perceived feminism of Marie's role as a female
and queen. Two, the film has very little dialogue, bringing an
interesting view.Consider why this was. Three, like modern-day
retellings of such as Romeo + Juliette, Moulin Rouge, O, The Scarlet
Letter, it's more concerned with human relationships than the actual
history. It attempts to put a contemporary spin on this historical
figure. It delves into the modern conjectures applied nowadays to this
figure than focusing on the known historical facts. For instance,
whether or not Marie Antoinette had love affairs or not, or if she was a
frivolous heiress or a deep woman full of hopes and life. This
particular version is more concerned with attempting to delve into the
actual mind and being of Marie Antoinette than simply telling the story
revolving around the facts only. It does use these historical facts, but
it's primary focus is to explore the mind of a fascinating person.

However, if watching a different version, there may be a more immediate
historical aspect depicting this figure with more accuracy and not
focusing on the perceived psyche.

Anyway, like I said, just apply what you do with a novel to a film, and
you should be just fine.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 2