[stylist] More things to ponder

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Tue Dec 18 22:30:25 UTC 2012

Chris,
I have read all of the books you refer to except "Middlesex." I agree with
you completely about Kingsolvers, "The Poisonwood Bible," except that its
source was that she grew up in the Congo as a minister's daughter. In that
respect she had to have had some special insights.
My experience was in being in Uganda for five years, and knowing of the
river blindness, and the worms that got into the knees from the river water.
The author completely captured the missionaries common ignorance, and
dogmatic religious beliefs no mater what wisdom the tribal cultures stood
ready to teach them. Like, no baptism in the river.
I say this even though I had a missionary uncle in Liberia for years.
Perhaps a personal story will demonstrate. I had a running bet with my
houseboy that I would eat termites, if he would eat a cucumber. Neither of
us ever did. The reason, his culture taught him rightly, that anything grown
in soil that was also used for human body waste, or had been for two years,
would make them sick. For me, I simply could not get past the thought and
texture. For them, it was an excellent source of protein. There was logic,
reason, and truth in most of there customs, except, their concept of
"instant justice" was extremely difficult to comprehend and appreciate.
But like you, the sociopath is a fascinating track to study, and even more
so now, with our school tragedies happening. "No Conscience seems
unbelievable, until you see it in action time after time.
I do so like the way your mind works, and the things you read, not to
mention that you are an excellent editor.
Jacqui