[stylist] Self publishing- Weeding out the crap

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Dec 31 21:15:22 UTC 2012

50 Shades was self published first.  It became hugely popular and then
she got a contract from a traditional publisher.

It is way out of the realm of what I normally read.  However in an
effort to find out what all the fuss was about, I read all three books.
The writing is very mediocre, however the story is what carries it.  I
guess people will forgive a lot if the story is captivating or forbidden
or racey or whatever.

I don't know what happened with Twilight though. *smile* I read the
first one, but just couldn't bring myself to endure any more.  I work
with teenagers and asked quite a few that read what they thought of the
Twilight books.  Almost all of them who had read the books
enthusiastically enjoyed them.  I guess it goes to show that anything is
possible when your style is right for your audience.  Teens seem to love
whiney, overly dramatic, superficial romances.  The Twilight books hit
the home run.

Julie