[stylist] 10 Ways To Keep Your Mental Prime

Brad Dunsé lists at braddunsemusic.com
Fri Feb 3 00:53:21 UTC 2012

 From the organization which I'm taking the freelance B2B class.

As freelance writers, we've got to shake things
up regularly and keep our minds fresh so we can pen inspired copy.

One of the best ways to do this is to practice "spontaneous creativity.”

It goes beyond just good sense – it's also a
physical necessity, unless you don't mind your brain deteriorating.

Let me tell you a story to illustrate my point.
It's about the time I was outsmarted by a couple of 8-year-olds.

At the time, I was 15. I'd been attending a
leadership seminar with other sophomores from
around the state. Most of the instruction
centered on how to be successful in life.

In one of the presentations, they had us do a
brainstorming exercise. I can't remember what we
had to brainstorm, but I came up with a list of about five solid ideas.

Then the presenters brought two 8-year-olds out
on stage. They had them do the same brainstorming
exercise. Right there, in front of everybody and
with absolutely zero hesitation, those two kids
started spouting off all kinds of ideas. Between
them, they came up with well over 50 solutions!

This demonstrated to us high schoolers how
quickly we lose our ability to think outside the box.

I remember being supremely annoyed. At only 15, I
was apparently past my mental peak.

Unfortunately, that's the case for a lot of us.
It's a fact that brain cells deteriorate with age
and thought patterns grow methodical.

Thank heavens, there's a remedy. All it takes is
constant stimulation to the creative side of your brain.

It's not hard work either. The key is to be
consistent. Below, I've listed 10 ways to
consistently practice original thought and get
your creative juices flowing. Doing so should
help you lay some of those beneficial neural
pathways I've been talking about all week.
    * Read as much as possible about everything
possible. After all, information sparks creative connections.
    * Hang out with smart people. Intelligent discussions exercise your brain.
    * Give yourself a time limit to figure out
problems and pick a number so you'll know how
many solutions/possibilities you should come up
with. I've heard that some top copywriters will
come up with 100 different possible headlines. I
wonder if they make themselves do this in a limited amount of time.
    * Keep yourself physically fit. Getting
enough sleep, exercising, and eating healthy food
have a considerable impact on your mental powers.
    * Join an improv comedy class.
    * Don't judge ideas as they come to you.
Everything represents possibility. Wait and censor later.
    * Practice your storytelling skills, and
craft impromptu, random stories. Use these prompts to outline your story:

"Once upon a time”
"And every day”
"Until one day”
"And because of that”
"Until finally”
"And ever since then”
    * Skim the dictionary, find a word at random,
and write a headline using that word.
Restrictions force you to think creatively.
    * Gather details about your dilemma before
you start thinking. In the writing world, this
means do your research about the product or topic you're writing about.
    * Listen to Bach. A lot of folks swear his music sparks creativity.

Aim to do at least one of these things every day
for a minimum of ten minutes a day.

Another way to spark creativity is by enrolling
in an educational program. I can think of no
better than
<http://www.the-golden-thread.com/em/lt.php?c=697&m=675&nl=5&s=fb7ba06de480c665a929eba1085125d2&lid=6786&l=-http--www.awaionline.com/twl/ct4/>AWAI's
Accelerated Program Live Companion Series. It
works very simply but is wildly effective. You
learn the core lessons of copywriting, including
when to stick to a formula and when to think
outside the box. You learn from experts who've
had success doing exactly that. And you have a
great time along the way (I had a blast when I took it).

<http://www.the-golden-thread.com/em/lt.php?c=697&m=675&nl=5&s=fb7ba06de480c665a929eba1085125d2&lid=6786&l=-http--www.awaionline.com/twl/ct4/>Find
out how soon you can start.

And one more thing, one more way to look for
creativity-prompting ideas is by "surfing”
Facebook. It's true!
<http://www.the-golden-thread.com/em/lt.php?c=697&m=675&nl=5&s=fb7ba06de480c665a929eba1085125d2&lid=6787&l=-http--www.awaionline.com/2012/02/6-ways-to-make-facebook-an-idea-generator/>Read
about it here.

To your success,

Mindy Tyson McHorse
Freelance Copywriter and AWAI Wall of Fame Member