[stylist] 3 Keys To Business Success./Re: new writing prompt

Brad Dunsé lists at braddunsemusic.com
Fri Feb 3 21:29:55 UTC 2012

Thanks Barbara. I did take some animated liberty
there, but I wasn't too happy that morning :).

Brad

On 2/3/2012  01:00 PM Barbara Hammel said...
>I really liked the description and
>interpretation of the tantrum. Barbara Poetry is
>an echo, asking a shadow to dance. -- Carl
>Sandburg -----Original Message----- From:
>BradDunsé Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012
>9:44 PM To: Writer's Division Mailing List
>Subject: [stylist] 3 Keys To Business
>Success./Re: new writing prompt This is intended
>as a casual conversational newsletter type
>piece, mixing light-hearted situation with
>business concepts. 3 Keys to jingle on your
>keychain of business Success Have you ever had a
>pivotal moment? One of those moments like,
>“Hey, I just signed a 1-year membership to a
>health club. Now I’m going to have to do some
>mental exercises to excuse away why I can’t
>work out. Gee, I hope that won’t be too
>difficult.” Ha. Ha. I had a pivotal moment
>last winter. I’d checked the clock and
>thought, “yeah I’ve got time for a quick
>bowl of oatmeal before heading out this
>morning.” I microed some water, tossed in the
>fixin’s, and let it steep on the counter. A
>kiss goodbye from my wife as she left warmed the
>weather guy's statement of it being the coldest
>morning that winter. Poking my head outside, I
>found the frozen nostril test read 15 below

that’s subzero for all you follks not in the
>Twin Cities-- Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area.
>“Better go start the truck,” I moped.
>Snabbing my truck keys, patting my pup on the
>head with an, “I’ll be right back pal,“
>then shutting the door on my way out; an
>immediate thought came to mind, something like,
>“Did I just?
 Oh no I didn’t. Oh yes I did!
>I jusst locked the door when I shut it!”
>Writer’s note: In case you weren’t paying
>attention? That would be the pivotal moment
>right there. Faster than Clint Eastwood’s
>cheroot clenched pistol draw, I made for a quick
>jab to the left front pocket, no keys! In one
>fluid move
 a slam to the right front chest
>pocket of my cover-allls--which would have
>impressed even Chuck Norris. Rats! No keys there
>either
 and no cell phone! My wife had jusst
>left, and could have come back to let me in

>that iss
 if I remembered to slip my cell in my
>pocket. To  continue my “Dance of External
>Disappointment,” if I recall the moves
>correctly. Let’s see now, it was
 tiighten
>fists, flap lips in various unrecognizable
>contorts, blend in a burst of vocal expression
>of self-disgust, followed by a disgraceful
>delivery of the “heel knock” technique. For
>those unfamiliar with that particular skilled
>technique, that would be an animated alternate
>forward crash of your heels in a childish
>tantrum. Rounding out the choreographed
>diatribe, was a simultaneous wielding of the
>arms ,with an ugly spasm-like twist of the
>torso. And the big finale
 the irritated
> [...]
>right over there? That’s mine. Yeeaaah
>baby!” I was thankful for my intuitive fluke
>of slipping my cover-alls on before going out,
>and didn’t jump out there in the usual sweat
>pants and T-shirt with moccasin type slippers.
>That would have made for a new Olympic event
>called “The Half-Naked Shivering 40 Meter Dash
>to the Neighbors House” which I most certainly
>would have won. So how important is remembering
>your house keys when heading out for the day?
>Pretty dang important at 15-degrees below zero.
>Come to think of it, there are a few important
>keys you need to remember heading out to your
>business day, every day, or get the big chill.
>Key#1: Have a positive attitude and believe you
>can do it. How important is it you believe you
>can get out there and get the difficult jobs
>done? Pretty darn important. One thing I’ve
>learned, no one will ever believe in your
>ability to be successful as much as you will
>need. OK yes, there are those around you that
>see your potential and offer support, but if you
>don’t see it, or play it down with excuse,
>they’ll eventually stop. No one wants to
>continually smack the encouragement ball to the
>outfield and drag you to first base. It’s your
>own belief that counts because you’re the one
>out in the trenches. And you know? You really
>can do it if you just get after it. Just about
>everything in this world is a teachable skill,
>and despite what it might appear, we’re all
>learning everyday so you’re not alone. Simply
>believe in yourself, your ability to learn what
>needs learning and do what needs doing. Just go
>for it and don’t forget to have fun along the
>way! Key #2: Get going and actually do
>something. Isn’t it funny how once we decide
>to do something, we’re always expected to take
>action on it? Whose idea was that anyway? That
>doesn’t mean endless answering of emails,
>rabbit trailing down YouTube lane, checking with
>your neighbor if he brought back the rake he
>borrowed last fall so you don’t accidentally
>step on the business end of it bonking yourself
>in the forehead with the handle. It means
>prioritizing your goals, provided you’ve made
>them, and account for your time. You’re the
>boss, it’s up to you to give yourself
>performance reviews, and your boss can get a bit
>tough. Focus on your tasks, don’t’
>procrastinate, you’ll “loose end” yourself
>to a point of overwhelm. Key #3: Balance the
>view. When you’ve forgotten the second key on
>your keychain, don’t spend all your time
>looking in the rear-view mirror for it or
>constantly reminding yourself of all those
>mistakes you left behind. Learn from them yes,
>but hey, there’s a reason the windshield is
>larger than the rear view mirror. Spending
>valuable time squinting at that mirror only
>leads to not paying attention to the things
>coming at you through that big clear glassy
>thing with the wipers on it. Basically, glance
>at your past to learn from it, and spend the
>majority of your time looking at what’s ahead.
That would
>be your immediate future, and yoou’re the one
>behind the wheel driving straight into it
>whether you like it or not. One final item
>before I go. Does anyone have a spare brick and
>know the rough cost of a window replacement? I
>forgot to put on my cover-alls, you know
 the
>ones the dog has in her teeth staringg out the
>window at me, with the cellphone and keys in the
>front left pocket? Brad Dunsé "Courage is being
>scared to death and saddling up anyway." --John
>Wayne http://www.braddunsemusic.com
>http://www.facebook.com/braddunse
>http://www.twitter.com/braddunse
>your account info for stylist:
>http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/poetlori8%40msn.com
>your account info for stylist:
>http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/lists%40braddunsemusic.com
></x-flowed>

Brad Dunsé

"It is not the strongest of the species that
survive nor the most intelligent but the one most
responsive to change." --Clarence Darrow