[stylist] message from new member and reply to new writing prompt

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 3 23:39:21 UTC 2012

Hi Amy!
I'm Ashley and I saw you years ago when you were a teen at a Bism retreat.
Feel free to email me off list. I think your background is excellent. Where
did you receive your english degree and teaching ESL degree?
Wow, I've not heard a blind person doing that one! So what do you do now?
Teach ESL in public school? tutor? You have many options open to you with
that combo.

I am a young adult and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do.
I graduated from  Marymount university with a BA in liberal studies; which
is a degree where you pick two fields of study to complete a degree. I
studied lots of psychology, but it was not quite a major. Now I'm in school
at community college taking additional writing courses for a career studies
certificate.
I enjoy writing personal essays and what I believe is called creative
nonfiction; the type based on your life where you place dialoge and scenes
in it.

I actually desire to do what you do. I want to teach ESL as a volunteer and
am very curious to know alternative techniques. How can you communicate with
them nonverbally since you cannot see their gestures.
I know you can show and label pictures to teach words and concepts. But
there is lots of nonverbal stuff involved typically in teaching english to
non native speakers. I know many nonprofits in this area, VA, who look for
ESL volunteers including at a homeless shelter and would love to make a
difference in an immigrant's life.
Additionally, I'd like to do some free lance work part time; maybe writing
articles for a small paper or writing white papers for a company, something
like that. But I have no clue how to get started. I'm looking around though.

Anyway, I hope we both learn about writing careers here from seasoned
writers.

Ashley