[stylist] grammatical usage of apostrophes

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Feb 15 18:11:05 UTC 2012

Lori,
There is at least one other apostrophic issue (sorry, couldn't help making
an adjective). When referring to a decade, you can skip the initial "19) and
replace it with an apostrophe, but there is no apostrophy before the s at
the  end. I grew up in the '50s (' 5 0 s) or the 1950s (1 9 5 0 s), but not
the 50's (5 0 ' s) or the 1950's (1 9 5 0 ' s), despite how nicely Jaws says
it. However, when referring to someone's age, the initial apostrophe is not
used because no character is being omitted. So, I'm in my 60s. (6 0 s). Or,
are we supposed to write that one out?
Apostrophically yours, *grin*
Donna