[stylist] How to Read a Poem

KajunCutie926 at aol.com KajunCutie926 at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 16:27:07 UTC 2012

YES! YES! YES!  I was given this advice years  ago.  Every piece of poetry
I write is read aloud before I ever share it  with anyone, anywhere.  As my
poetry mentor told me "If it doesn't sound  right to you, then it likely
will not sound or read right for anyone  else".  I have also learned that
metered or syllabic poetry, unless done as  an assignment, can be manipulated a
bit.  I have written many metered poems  that read as though they were
written in pentameter, as an example, but may have  a line or two with one more or
less syllable.  Shakespeare did that from  time to time as well.  The
English language can be a strange bird at times  and I have becoming willing to
let the lyrical flow of words take the lead  instead of strict adherence to
the rules of the form.
Reading poetry is not always easy, I will admit, and  yes, sometimes it is
hard work, but when you find that gem that moves you, opens  your heart, and
touches your soul it all becomes worth it.

Myrna

In a message dated 2/21/2012 9:53:21 A.M. Central Standard Time,