[stylist] my novel

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue Feb 21 17:21:51 UTC 2012

Atty,
You wrote this once; you know what it says. Don't give up. I can't imagine
losing that much. I lost the first draft of a story I was working on
yesterday because my computer really should be replaced. The chill it sent
through me was horrific. That was a thousand words, and I immediately went
to work reconstructing it, which is nothing to what you must be going
through. It's not fun or fair, but don't let it be an excuse to quit. Your
writing is a huge part of who you are. Think of this as a test.

Then, do something regularly to save your work to something other than your
computer. When I re write a chapter of my novel, I dump it onto my
Booksense. If you have a Victor Stream, I think you can put .docs on it
also. I use this method for quick back ups, but once a month I dump my
documents including the profile folders from Outlook onto an external hard
drive which we store in a safe deposit box at our bank. Anything you can do
to keep recent copies of stuff on something external will give you enormous
peace of mind. A CD or DVD would work too, just do something. I know you
feel terrible, but you've gotten back up before. Think of this as one more
test, and remember  -- the best time to quit is when you're on top not when
you're at rock bottom.
Blessings,
Donna