[stylist] Phases of the Moon

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Sat Feb 25 00:52:38 UTC 2012

Lynda,
Here goes.
Do you mean for the title to mean Phase of the Moon, or Phases of the Moon.
Since the poem is in three stanzas, I surmise you mean the latter instead of
the singular.
Since it is to Sappho, and I suffer from having a very literal mind, I used
all the information on her to give me clues to understanding this poem-a
Greek poet, whose remnants of poetry survive in libraries in Greece, and
other places. Thus a possible explanation of the two shy librarians.
Also, there is the speculation that she was       a lesbian, coming from
Lesbos. The two shy librarians are Certainly Sappho held enough words to
write an epic poem for she was very prolific. The other, fearful, could have
been in fear of being revealed as Sappho's companion.
Certainly Sappho slid around time, and the variety of "neighbors she had in
the fifth and sixth centuries B.C.
Also, Vegans first made themselves known at this same time. Not having to do
with health, but because they objected morally to the use of animals for
food. They were believed by Vegans to have equal standing as human beings as
far as rights. That is the only meaning I can find for having that line in
the poem, other than the dog is black which fits the mood of the sky.
The phrase, "swaddled around" seems like it should "swaddled by" instead. It
seems like the lunar field would be wrapped around the shadows.
I love the first stanza. It gives a vivid visual picture of this night. I do
question whether you need three adjectives to describe the night. I love
"reluctant" and the other two are equally descriptive, but would not just
one of those be enough to go with reluctant?
I shall think of a wounded moon, double red, in the future when I look at
the sky, and see the slight subordinate branches holding something. Even
though I cannot see.
Wonderful language.
Does the Vegan walk his black dog mean he is an audience for the poet when
she writes with her neon lipstick?  Sunspots can have a double meaning. The
Cosmos, or aging skin. For your poem, I am assuming the cosmos.
For the larger meaning, I am not sure. I might think that it is about a
wildly imaginative woman who has been wounded, but makes beauty take the
place of hurt by sliding around doors  she  may have found closed to her
over time.
Am I even close to your meaning?
You have a period after the word, "illustrations" yet it is followed  by
lowered case, "on."
I am a fan of m-dashes, and I see you have used dashes like Emily Dickenson.

I have never been particularly good at critiquing, but when I really take
time, I find I learn much.
I suspect you have an MFA. Am I correct?
And this is what I must learn from.
Jackie