[stylist] songwriting vs. poetry

Brad Dunsé lists at braddunsemusic.com
Tue Feb 28 20:37:59 UTC 2012

There are several differing aspects to poems than
lyrics.Off cuff here very quickly:

1. Songs shouldn't have stuff like red/read, blue/blew, etc.

2. Songs have about 3.5 minutes to get the point
across while leaving space for a repeated chorus,
not much time. Poems can take as long as they like.

3. Songs have to be written very conversational
and simple, while poems can get all esoteric,
complex and intellectual.  Why? See below.

4. Songs are on a force tempo. You can't stop and
rewind a song on the radio or while listening to
a live performer.  So if they don't "get it,"
from the first listen, likely they'll miss an
important part of the rest of the song. Reading
poems, you can stop and think. Though that is not
the case with a live reading of a poem, the reader can pause to allow for it.

5. Lyrics have to be written to match the genre
or style of the music. That marriage is called
prosody. No dirges with lyrics like, "Hey babe ya wanna DANCE with me tonight?"

6. Lyrics often are written to rhythmically fit
in the groove, beat, or rhythm of the music.

7. Lyrics have to phonetically match the line of
a song.  I'm sure someone else can remember the
word for it, wait, plosives, yeah that's it. You
don't want a long hanging note on certain words
in certain situations. You want open vowels and
not hard edged D's or even nasally N's.

These are just off cuff here but you get the idea.

Brad

6. lyric

On 2/28/2012  01:39 PM Barbara Hammel said...

So, what’s so different about writing songs from
writing poetry?  I get that there usually is a
chorus and two or three verses.  Sometimes there
might even be a bridge thrown in for good
measure. I’ve often though of trying my hand at
songwriting, in fact I have one I wanted to give
to someone to see if they could work up a tune
for it but I wasn’t on that friendly a terms with
her.  A friend and I wrote one, too, when she was
in high school and I was in college.  I saw the
email with Brad’s tip, so will look at that, too.
Barbara Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to
dance. -- Carl Sandburg
<http://www.nfb-writers-division.net/>http://www.nfb-writers-division.net
<http://www.nfb-writers-division.org/> stylist
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get
your account info for stylist:
<http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/lists@braddunsemusic.com>http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/lists%40braddunsemusic.com

Brad Dunsé

"When it comes to change, don't wind up like concrete...
all mixed up and permanently set!" --Unknown

http://www.braddunsemusic.com

http://www.facebook.com/braddunse

http://www.twitter.com/braddunse