[stylist] Book review on the Twilight Series

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Tue Jan 3 13:49:11 UTC 2012

Bridgit,

Thanks for an excellent review. You do a great job of examining the books,
the characters and the writing, without spoiling anything for those who may
be inclined to read the series. I'll be honest, a few years ago when the
first 2 books were all the rage and my daughter read and loved them, I
started Twilight. Although I rarely do this, after 50 or so pages I decided
not to finish it, for the same reasons you mentioned in your review (slow,
telling, boring, lots of eye rolling (my own, that is)...) so I commend you
for reading all 4 books. Who knew you had such masochistic qualities? Smile.
I've also heard the comparison to Rowling's Harry Potter series, but I think
that's just journalists and bloggers trying to create a connection. The
primary difference is that the Potter books, originally written for young
adults, were a hit with people of all ages. I read an article early on about
a plain bound edition that was being purchased by many adults so people
wouldn't know they were reading a 'kid's' book. Harry Potter was embraced by
boys and girls alike, whereas Twilight was most popular with the 13-16 year
old girl set. I take nothing away from Meyer for writing and capitalizing on
it, but in 20 years I think people will still be reading the Potter series,
while the Twilight books will be collecting dust in people's basements.

Really nice job, Bridgit. Thanks for sharing.

chris