[stylist] Book rreview comparing Twilight and Harry Potter

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 3 18:28:24 UTC 2012

Lori,

Definitely a lesson in futility if you ask me, smile! There are four
weeks of my life I'll never get back! I stuck with reading Twilight just
to finish, but I honestly never warmed up to the series.

Harry Potter is also written for young adults- about age 11 up through
the teens- each book progresses along with Harry's age which is eleven
in The Sorceror's  Stone and 17 in Deathly Hallows. And yet, the HP
series appeals to many young and old. I think Rowling created better
characters with more emotional depth, and unlike Twilight, I found a lot
of HP characters relatable. The one down side to HP is that there are
those teen angsty moments and those teen issues-- who will I go to the
dance with, should I kiss so and so, etc.-- which reading it as an
adult, I would have preferred to skip out on, but the over-all plot is
captivating and is full of ethos.

I was 17 when the first HP book came out and didn't read any of them
until I was 23, so of course I wasn't as involved in the teen parts of
the books, but HP is a series that has affected all who read it. And
unlike Meyer, Rowling heavily uses literary, historical and mythological
references to create metaphors and weave a rich tapestry, and it doesn't
feel contrived.

So I recommend Harry Potter over Twilight any day. Plus, HP is full of
action and not build-ups ending in stale, stunted moments.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan