[stylist] monday word: cattywumpus or wompus

James H. "Jim" Canaday M.A. N6yr n6yr at sunflower.com
Wed Jan 4 01:17:10 UTC 2012

maybe it is only a noun among the redneck dialect of this country.

half of my heritage would be described as redneck.  though we now prefer agro-american.  lol
yes, catty-corner certainly seems much more precise a meaning than catawampus.  as a noun or adjective I've seen catawampus applied to all kinds of things that aren't or couldn't be catty-cornered.
jc