[stylist] what I've been reading...

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 21:05:24 UTC 2012

Hey Jackie,

No, I'm totally blind, and read exclusively by audio books. I know braille,
but read at a snails pace. I have both a tape player and digital book player
in my kitchen, so I listen to magazines primarily when I'm cooking and
cleaning and eating lunch (Newsweek, Choice, Braille Monitor, The writer,
Dialogue). I have a VR Stream for downloading books from NLS, and I listen
when doing housework, gardening, sometimes in the evening if my family is
engaged in stupid TV, and every night before bed. I'm also a bit of an
insomniac, so it's not uncommon for me to lay in bed listening to a book at
4 in the morning. I do read a bit faster than the average person would like
to listen, but not so fast I can't pick up all that's going on. And with
non-fiction, sometimes I'll go back and re-read sections to be sure I
understand what's been read.

Having free audio books and the time to read them is number one on my list
of benefits of being blind.

chris