[stylist] What are you currently reading

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 16 22:33:45 UTC 2012

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
Difficult to give synopsis of this book. Twins, Valentina and Julia,
inherit their aunt's flat and possessions in England after  she passes
from cancer. The aunt, Elsbeth, and the twins' mother, Edwina, are also
twins but who have not spoken in  years. Julia and Valentina grew up in
Illinois, and when they leave for London, they have never lived on their
own. A huge  secret lies between Elsbeth and Edwina but no one has ever
discussed it. As the girls embark on their journey to London,  an array
of characters spot the landscape of the plot including Elsbeth's ghost.
The twins, who have never done anything as  an individual, and Julia
dominating Valentina, they begin to grow apart as they discover truths
about themselves, their  family and Elsbeth.

Her Fearful Symmetry is nowhere near as captivating or well-written as
The Time Traveler's Wife was. Symmetry takes  odd twists and turns, and
ultimately I feel the conclusion is flat. Having loved The Time
Traveler's Wife so much, I was  eager to read Niffenegger's recent
novel, but I feel it's a let down.

Mary Magdalene: Myth and Metaphor by Susan Haskin
An academic look into the New Testament figure, Mary Magdalene. Haskins
constructs a portrait of Mary based on old  and recent historical and
archeological evidence along with looking at the myth surrounding Mary.

This book is not written from a religious perspective though it
certainly draws upon scripture at times as Haskins pours  through
centuries  of information about Mary. It's an academic look into Mary,
but it's a very interesting read and not  caught up in the intellect of
it all. I find it extremely interesting how little is actually known
about Mary, and how much  myth surrounds her life especially in France
where she's reported to have settled after the crucifixion. A very
interesting  read that I believe gives a fair portrayal of this
enigmatic figure that has caused much contraversy  throughout history.

Growing up Green: Baby and Childhood by Deirdre Imus
>From the woman who has written vegan and vegetarian cookbooks and
started a ranch for children promoting a green  lifestyle, comes a
child-rearing book based on the fundamentals of parenting promoting a
environmentally-friendly, green  lifestyle.

This is a great book for anyone wanting to raise their children in a
more environmentally-friendly environment.

The King's Speech by Mark Logue and Peter Conradi
This is the book in which the film of the same name is based on. Mark
Logue, grandson of Lionel Logue, speech therapist  to King George VI,
creates a captivating look into his grandfather and the king he helped.

Very little has been published about Lionel Logue or the king's profound
stammer. Logue wanted to tell his grandfather's  story and share how
Lionel not only saved a king from a lifetime of severe speech concerns,
but how Lionel changed the  world of speech therapy.

Where the film focuses on King George, the book focuses on Lionel Logue.
It's very interesting and worth the read. It  does place an emphasis on
Lionel's relationship with the king, but it also gives a fuller picture
of Lionel's life. Definitely one  of the best nonfiction reads of the
year for me.

What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel
The essential read for anyone expecting children. This books discusses
topics ranging from the physical to the emotional  aspects of pregnancy,
offering education, suggestions and tips.

The Newman's Own Organics Guide to a Good Life: Simple Measures that
Benefit You and the Place You Live by Nell  Newman
Written by late actor Paul Newman's daughter, this book provides
answers, tools, and tips to make you and your home  safe and organic.
Another good book to check out if interested in creating a green home
and lifestyle.

Essential Exercises for the Child Bearing Year: A Guide to Health and
Comfort Before and After Your Child is Born by  Katherine Noble
Katherine Noble has combined her background in physical therapy with
obstetrics creating a practice based out of  Massachusas  helping women
with pre-natal care and post-natal care. Noble provides advice and
instruction about  breathing exercises to pelvic floor exercises to
abdominal exercises, all geared towards helping expectant mother's have
the safest and healthiest pregnancy and delivery possible.

I have found this book tremendously helpful. I recommend it to anyone
expecting or thinking of starting a family. It really  is an essential
read, in my opinion.

Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi
Actress and wife of Ellen DeGeneres shares her struggle with anorexia.
It's a vivid depiction into the world of eating  disorders and how
Portia comes through the other side.

This was a difficult read for me as I identify with Rossi and her story.
It was as though I were reading my own story. It's  also beautifully
written, and Rossi did not use a ghost writer of any kind. It's a
touching and memorable read even though  the subject matter is gritty
and raw. Another amazing nonfiction read for the year.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan

Message: 2
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:24:55 -0800
From: vejas <brlsurfer at gmail.com>
To: stylist at nfbnet.org
Subject: [stylist] what are you currently reading?

Hi,
I wanted to know what you guys are reading right now and what you
think of your books.  Right now I am reading a book called All
That Matters by Wayson Choy.  It is about a Chinese family living
in the Chinatown part of British Columbia.  I feel as if the
quality of the writing is all right, but I find the family very
interesting.  For example, all of the children call their
father's second wife "Stepmother", even though 2 of them are
biologically hers.  I'm mainly reading it for what happens to the
characters as opposed to the plot.
Have any of you read it?
Vejas