[stylist] Sharing Memoir and question

Herrin, Amber R. herrinar at muohio.edu
Wed Jul 18 02:08:53 UTC 2012

Linda,

Though the question has already been answered about how to find the word
count, I would like to take a moment to show you how to add the function to
a quick access toolbar, which will allow you to forget all day long as long
as you know how to get to the toolbar.

1-Open MS Word
2-press Alt plus R for review, and navigate using the tab key to word count
3-press applications key (if desktop, located just to the left of the
right-hand control key), or, if using a laptop or netbook of some kind,
press shift plus f10
4-You should hear your screen reader say "Add to quick access toolbar"
5-press enter on this

Now to utilize it whenever you are anywhere in word, you will:

1-press the alt key by itself
2-You will hear the screen reader announce whatever ribbon you were last on
3-Arrow left or right, according to your preference, or whichever will
return you to the home ribbon the quickest.
4-arrow up from the home tab
5-you should see any items placed in the quick access toolbar.  You may
arrow left and right to navigate through these.
6-Whenever you reach the desired icon, press enter to execute its function.

A few notes:

1-You can add almost anything from the ribbons to this particular toolbar;
the list will just grow.  There is a limit, though it is late here, and I am
exhausted, so forgive that I do not at this moment, recall what that limit
is.  Be assured that it is a very large number.
2-When you arrow up to access the toolbar, I indicated that you can arrow
left and right to access the icons located here.  This is accurate, but you
must use caution when first accessing it, as arrowing left may take you onto
what your screen reader will call "office button" and then indicate that it
is a "dropdown" in a grid.  You may arrow right again, which will place you
back on the home ribbon, at which point you may arrow up to reach the access
toolbar again.
3-There are other ways to access the toolbar, but for the sake of less
confusion, I have only indicated one here.  Please know that I am by no
means, claiming that this is the best or quickest or most used way etc.  I
am only describing a method that might be used.  Feel free to use other
methods if others are taught or described for you.
4-Finally!  Anyone with questions can feel free to ask me off list about
them.  I am happy to help in any way I am able.

Hoping this helps,

Amber R. Herrin
ATI Student in Training 2012
World Services for the Blind