[stylist] but not today

KajunCutie926 at aol.com KajunCutie926 at aol.com
Wed Jun 13 20:14:19 UTC 2012

Those last three lines says it all, Shawn!  I  have those 'not today' days
so I thoroughly enjoyed reading  this.

Myrna

In a message dated 6/13/2012 1:54:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Shawn.D.Jacobson at hud.gov writes:

Since  everyone else is doing poems, here is my latest humble attempt.

But not  today
by Shawn Jacobson

Awaking with pre-dawn alarm,
I move the  gate releasing dogs, they howl joyously.
I race them down the stairs to the  door
avoiding child left obstacles.
I may one day crash bringing down  pictures
with percussive crash; but not today.

Entering work, the  guard barks at me
do you have electronics?
It's my reader; blind guys  want to read to.
I follow orders I disassemble my bag.
I reveal the  offending equipment.
I feel like screaming freedom; but not  today.

The meeting goes rough.
These numbers must be massaged, made  presentable;
we must spin your work.
You're writing is complex, I am  told.  They fear numbers.
They fear missing their goal.
I want to  storm out in disgust; but not today.

The Driver woos his breaks with  rough romance.
I catch tenuous monkey bar balance.
As I dismount the  bus, my knees creak from
misspent life with chocolate and too many  pounds.
One day, I may go down in pain; but not today.

At home I  face marital inquisition.
Why do you not clean your office,
and why is  the basement a mess?
Must I do everything?
Dirty dishes go here, clean  ones there.
I fear I may explode exasperated; but not today.

Some  days when survived
are a blessed victory
holding back  despair.

Shawn Jacobson