[stylist] KNFB reader and tools for jotting thoughts/ideas

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Sat Mar 3 20:10:20 UTC 2012

Eve, TheKNFB reader is a software package that goes on certain cell
phones.  You snap a picture and it will read back the text.  There are
apps for the iphone but I think they aren't as accurate or take longer
to process. The KNFB reader is still the best portable reader out
there.  There are also software programs for scanners like Kurzweil
(spelling) but they are not portable.  The KNFB reader and required cell
phone are expensive but used models aren't as bad.  Not sure about
scanner software programs.

I like to keep a variety of tools in my arsenal, hence I'm learning
Braille.  I still compose in my head and never get it down on the
computer.  I thought I'd do better keeping my Penfriend close at hand,
but the chemistry wasn't there.  I didn't want people to hear me writing
down my thoughts.  The cell phone the KNFB Reader is on also has a
recorder which I don't make use of.  I'm hoping Braille will be a
breakthrough tool for me for writing down ideas.  Like you I could
bearly read what I wrote growing up.  I have a whole journal that I no
longer have access to because no one can read what I wrote and I really
don't want to share it with them anyway.
Brenda

Brenda