[stylist] poem submission

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Mon Mar 5 18:30:35 UTC 2012

Barbara,
Scotty was twenty years old. He said he was going on a hike to where he
could take off higher until he could see Weaver's Needle in a full moon. He
said to ,"call out the Marines if he was not back in four days. He was an
experience hiker and had worked a summer in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho,
as well as having rock climbed since he was twelve. Our advice against going
alone held no sway. My husband and I left for Globe where I was teaching a
belly dancing class. My oldest son called in four days to say Scott was not
back yet.
My husband and I returned and called the Sheriff's Department. They were in
an extensive search for a special needs child who had wandered off into the
desert, so the search was delayed for a day. My youngest son and his buddy
had dropped Scott off, so we knew the exact spot from where he had started.
When the Sherriff, a horseman, and fifty Indian trackers could find nothing
after about four days, they called off the search. My husband and I hired a
well-known man and his German dog who had previously found many missing
person's. We furnished a pair of socks stuffed in a pair of Scott's boots.
The dog tracked him to a four-wheel drive road, indicating that he had
gotten a ride out. My husband died within two years, after a divorce and a
re-union, and I went on to hire a private detective, involved the Salvation
Army, and exhausted all resources.
After many years the man who owned The railroad and park at the base of the
Superstitions was in a helicopter checking out a glint of what he hoped was
gold on the ledge of Black Mountain near the top.
His nephew spotted a skull which they determined was not a cow, and they
notified the Sheriff's department who had a new detective who happened to be
reviewing cold cases. They sent in a helicopter which was able to rest one
of the slides on the ledge while an anthropologist gathered everything he
could find. The skull and thirty pieces of bone which was identified by the
dental records, and indicated Scott had probably fallen when he tried to
climb down a crevasse. The left femur was broken near the top which would
have put him down. He must have managed to crawl to a big rock to lean
against, for that is where the bones were found. No cell phones then. It was
a mystery how he found the one and only way to the top of the mountain.
This is long, and each detail can lead to another part of the story, which
is why I started the book. At the moment he started his journey, so did I
start mine. Perhaps he found himself. I am still not sure about myself.
Jackie