[stylist] Friday's Word: lambent

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Sat Mar 10 15:54:22 UTC 2012

I had not done pottery since undergraduate school. After I lost my sight, my
friend called me and said "I think you can make pottery. I will take you to
the art center with me."  This was an enormous gift because it was in the
very beginning when I really could do nothing at all, long before I ever
heard that there weas such a thing as rehab. And, so, she drove to pick me
up every week to take me to classes. This mean that she was driving 3 hours
a day, just to get me and bring me home since I lived in the opposite
direction from the art center, and from her home. I very quickly found that
my hands remembered how to work with the clay. Shortly, I had moved from a
2D artist to a 3D artist. It was an incredible transition and happened very
naturally.

I will be teaching a workshop later this month at the Society for
Contemporary Craft in Pittsburgh, PA. The name of the workshop is _Painting
with Clay_ folllowing the workshop, will be a round table discussion with
doctors from UPMC who are meeting monthly to discuss how a blind  artist
makes art.  One thing I know for sure through my own experiences is that a
visual learner remains a visual learner and it has nothing to do with sight
or loss of sight.

And, yes, it can be very relaxing to work with clay. It is healing, too.
Lynda