[stylist] 'Crying' prompt response

loristay at aol.com loristay at aol.com
Tue Mar 20 13:31:58 UTC 2012

Beautifully done, Chris!
Lori

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Kuell <ckuell at comcast.net>
To: Stylist <stylist at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Wed, Mar 7, 2012 4:33 pm
Subject: [stylist] 'Crying' prompt response

Johnny Get Your Gun

By Chris Kuell

I sat working at my computer on the morning of April 4, 2011. When the phone
rang, I listened to the caller ID, which gave a familiar 423 area code. My
friend Susan in Tennessee.

"Hey Susan-how's it going?"

Susan answered with her usual, "Hey Chris," drawing out Chris with her Southern
twang until it was almost a three-syllable word. Then she sniffed and I knew
something was wrong. "Jonathan. Jonathan stepped on an IED."

I can't say with any certainty what she said right after that. It's absolutely
amazing to me how fast the human body can react. Within the course of a
millisecond or two, tears filled my eyes, my blackened visual cortex turned a
translucent gray and a sheen of sweat covered my back and chest

".two days ago. He's alive, but he's hurt real bad."

I steadied myself enough to try to give my friend some comfort over her son. I
learned that Jonathan had been flown to Germany where doctors were trying to
stabilize him. Despite the military's suggestions that she sit tight and wait,
Susan was getting on a plane to Germany later that day. She asked that I pray
for her son, and to please ask everyone I knew to pray for him too. I assured
her I would, hung up, then fell to pieces.

In June of 2003, I talked my family into driving me to West Virginia for a three
day writing conference. I had been toying with the idea of trying freelance
writing, and decided to attend the conference to learn, to network, and meet
other writers. My wife drove the 680 miles, and as I got out of the car and
stretched my back, a woman got out of the car next to us.

"Hi," she said. "I'm Susan."

We exchanged pleasantries over the course of the conference, Susan being one of
only a handful of people not put off by my blindness.

 And then she sat across from me at the Saturday evening banquet and we really
got a chance to chat. She was working on a novel about a strong Southern woman
in a bad relationship, and after attending a seminar for first time novelists, I
felt juiced up to start a novel about a working-class family dealing with
Alzheimer's. I learned that Susan had two kids, a boy and a girl like me, and
our sons were both eleven.

After the conference we emailed each other and critiqued each other's work. We
developed a weekly writing challenge to urge each other on, and became good
friends in the process. I saw Susan again at the 2004 West Virginia Writer's
conference, where I consumed a little too much authentic West Virginia moonshine
and she helped pilot me back to my room. We talked on the phone, and I heard
about her husband losing his job, her daughter's pregnancy, and her son Jonathon
advancing belt by belt through his karate classes. At the 2007 conference, we
both pitched our novels to a New York literary agent. He shot me down, but Susan
was one of only three people out of 52 to get a full manuscript request.

The following year, as summer approached, Susan called me in tears. Her son's
best friend had been found that morning dead in his room. He had died from
something called Robo-trippin', which I'd never heard of. Apparently, he and
Jonathan had both downed an entire bottle of Robitussin cough syrup, which is
purported to give the consumer a buzz. He was fine when Jonathan and he parted
ways the previous evening, but his heart failed in the night.

This was the start of a downward trend for Jonathan. His grades dropped, he quit
karate, he started staying out late and partying with the type of friends Susan
and her husband wanted him to stay away from.

He managed to graduate high school, barely, and was continually fighting with
his parents. As a graduation gift I sent him a copy of Cormack McCarthy's 'The
Road' and 'What Color is My Parachute' in hopes he might get some direction in
life. I also sent him a seven page personal letter, which he probably threw out
without reading. The truth is, I wasn't all that different than Jonathan when I
was his age. I once talked my best friend out of killing himself on a long, dark
night, and I always had the drive to get myself through college, but I wasn't
exactly law-abiding with Rhodes Scholars for friends.

Jonathan went to the University of Tennessee at Knoxville for a semester in the
fall-his parent's choice, not his. He was sent home after one semester and asked
not to return.

The following spring the cops pulled him over and busted him with beer and an
ounce of weed in his car. He spent the night in jail, then Susan and her husband
bailed him out. In court he was found guilty of possession with the intent to
distribute, driving under the influence, possession of alcohol while underage,
and a handful of assorted traffic violations. The judge fined him $2500 plus 100
hours of community service. Jonathan told the judge that what he really wanted
to do was join the service. The judge agreed that if Jonathan did, he'd waive
the fine. Jonathan completed his community service, and a month later was a
United States marine.

This seemed to have a positive impact. When he came home from boot camp, he was
a changed man. He was proud and respectful and except for picking up the habit
of smoking cigarettes he was the perfect son. When he returned for more
training, he found, as is the case with many a country boy used to shooting
squirrels out of trees with a .22 at a hundred yards, he was a good shot. A real
good shot. Uncle Sam decided to turn Jonathan into a sniper.

He trained, learned about the latest weaponry, laser scopes and where to place a
kill shot. On January 18, 2011, he and the rest of his regiment left the good
old USA and landed in Afghanistan. Seventy-four days later, as Jonathan himself
said, "I was walking a path where 200 other guys had walked before me, and I was
the unlucky sum-bitch to step on the mine."

Although I'd never met Jonathan, I couldn't get the image of him out of my mind.
Susan had said he'd lost most of his left foot, and all the bones in both legs
and his right foot were shattered. As I dwelled on that image, the sadness would
hit me like an iron mallet and I'd find myself crying again. When my wife came
home from work, I couldn't get through the story without losing it yet again.
Why was I having such a powerful reaction to this kid, this punk really, who I'd
never even met?

Firstly, it wasn't just any kid, but it was the son of a good friend. He was my
own son's age, and while they were walking very different paths in life, I could
still imagine the pain of every mother and father who had lost or nearly lost a
son or daughter in this terrible war. As of August 2011, there were 4,700 deaths
and nearly 33,000 American troop casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan, most of
them soldiers between the ages of 18 and 22. And for what? Is the world a better
place? If so, only slightly. Any gains are precarious at best, and certainly not
worth the cost.

As a parent, I can imagine no greater pain than the suffering or death of my
children. Give me cancer, Parkinson's, muscular dystrophy, chop off my legs, but
please God, leave my kids alone. I know that tragedy knocks on everyone's door,
but I'd bargain anything I could to keep it from my kid's porches as long as
possible. As I'm sure most parents would.  And when I open my heart to it, I can
feel all those parents pain and sorrow.

I thought about Jonathan, a mere nineteen years old, and the entire trauma that
he's already experienced. First was the death of his best friend, which he must
feel guilty over, yet never received the mental health therapy he undoubtedly
needed. This caused him to act out, and his folks, being Bible-belters, tried
the 'spare the rod and spoil the child' approach to parenting-which of course,
failed miserably. Jonathan rebelled, got into deeper trouble and took what I
thought at the time was a reasonable step by joining the Marines. Then, just as
he was feeling like his life was on track again, he found himself thrust into
the horror of war. By early May, he was at Walter Reed Medical Center in
Washington, his left leg amputated below the knee, his right leg full of screws
and rods, both legs and hips encased in plaster while he healed. At least,
physically.

There is a small ray of sunshine amid the bleakness of this story. By all
accounts, the medical attention Jonathan has received from the US Military has
been superb. Unlike the horror stories of wounded soldiers lying in their own
waste, infected wounds left untreated at Walter Reed during the bush
administration, Susan was invited to come and stay with her son, which she did
for three months. That gave them time to heal their personal wounds and grow
closer. Despite his protests, Jonathan had long sessions of physical therapy
every day. Two custom prosthetics were made for him-one for everyday use and one
for doing athletic activities. When he was able, a group of wounded soldiers and
their families got to sit in the first row behind the plate at a Washington
Nationals game. They went to New York City for a weekend to tour and see a
Broadway show. They were flown to Las Vegas for a weekend. Jonathan has had his
picture taken with a dozen or more celebrities. Tim Allen makes
 it a practice to stop by Bethesda Naval hospital (Walter Reed was officially
closed last August) as do Holly Hunter and Gary Sinise. They walk around and
chat with the wounded soldiers, which really makes their days. I can't say how
proud I am that my tax dollars are used to help and care for our wounded
veterans.

Three weeks ago Jonathan was skiing in Colorado when he got a phone call from
one of his Marine buddies. At boot camp, during training and for his short stint
in Afghanistan, Jonathan had made two close friends-Harrison and Mathews.
Harrison was the first person to get to Jonathon and applied the tourniquet
which probably saved his life. The other guys had completed their yearlong tour
and returned to Camp Merrill in Georgia in early February, 2012. A week later,
safe on US soil, Harrison shot himself in the head. The phone call was from
Mathews. Jonathon caught the first plane he could and attended the funeral in
full military uniform.

At this point, Jonathan is patiently waiting for his discharge. Despite his
parents urging, he doesn't believe he needs to talk to a psychiatrist or
therapist. He is thinking again about attending college, or perhaps a trade
school to learn to be an electrician.

What happened to Jonathon, who turned twenty last fall, wasn't ordinary

y. Yet, it was truly devastating, and I'm not sure he's dealt with all the
ramifications. It's also not a huge leap to worry what might befall my own son,
although there's no danger of him stepping on an IED. Last year two students
died at UConn (where he goes to school); one was stabbed at a party and another
was hit by a shuttle bus. A few years ago my friend Becky's son died at 19 of a
drug overdose. A few weeks ago another friend's son was hit by a car while
riding his bicycle home from a party. He's still in a coma, but doctors have
said they anticipate he will be fully paralyzed. He's just twenty-four years
old.

These kids, these beings we love into existence and then give them our hearts.
We do our best to watch over them, to teach them, to urge them to be smart. but
there's only so much we can do. Entropy, or chaos, is part of what keeps this
planet going no matter how much I fear or loathe it. Tears will come, they'll be
wiped away, and somehow we have to find the strength to carry on.