[stylist] Question for fiction writers

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 20:52:47 UTC 2012

Alan,

I recommend you just sit and write at least 10 different possibilities, play
with words and phrases, flex your writing muscles a little. If you can't do
this, you aren't ready to be a fiction writer.

his brown hair resembled an old mop

his brown curls reminded me of my Aunt Matilda's poodle

His brown shaggy hair looked like it came off an album cover of a band from
the 60s

His stiff brown hair resembled a bed of nails

His brown hair was cut like a marine's, and matched his generally jub shaped
head

the brown of his hair was like a cup of coffee with barely a spoonful of
cream

his brownish hair had the shape and texture of someone who had cut it
himself

his whiskey brown , blow-dried hair would have made John Travolta proud

his brown hair was pulled tight against his skull, tied in aponytail that
reached halfway down his back

he combed his thinning, brownish hair forward to cover a rapidly receeding
hairline

his hair was browner than a Mississipi mud pie, and just as thick

he kept his straight brown hair parted in the middle, a style I hadn't seen
in almost thirty years

his brown hair was ruled by chaos, tamed occasionally with a baseball cap

And so on.

chris