[stylist] Pet PVS

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Thu Mar 29 12:33:09 UTC 2012

    I think I don't have very many pet peeves. When I was teaching English
Comp. my biggest one was when the period was placed outside the quote marks
on student papers. But the pet peeve came into play after they continued to
do it on all their future papers. Ugh!

    These days, I would say that my biggest pet peeve is when a blind person
refers to himself or herself as an adjective, such as a "partial" or a
"total." I have a very dear friend who does this - she repeatedly  refers to
herself as a "total" and I feel so bad when she does this. She is a very
smart person, yet when she says this about herself it just gives me the
creeps because  she says it like it is some kind of litnus test or a badge
of honor. It is so much the opposite. To anyone who would hear her say this,
it sounds like she has no self-esteem, and is such a tacky way to label
yourself.  It draws attention to her sight loss in a most negative way, as
though it is her complete "self."

    I think we are a unique and individual person  first, just like any
other person. We are first of all who we ARE as a person. We are people who
enjoy our life and who do amazing things if we choose to do them. We can do
just about anything we want if we put in the effort. Yes, some things are
not so easy for us. But that does not define who we are. We are not
incomplete. We have character and honor, and anything else we determine we
will have. We are not partial and we are not total - anything. We create our
own image and we create the way others perceive us. To be less, or to tell
others we are less, is my pet peeve. The way we speak about our sight loss
to others is so important.

    I agree with you, Eve, on correcting other people. Some of the most
enjoyable and alive writing often has technical problems, but the essence of
it can be so beautiful.  Eventually, we all figure out things on our own and
our writing reflects what we want it to convey. I think the only time it is
appropriate to correct someone's "errors" is in the classroom  situation
where one is being paid to do it and the other is paying to have it done.
Otherwise, just enjoy the communication that we have with one another. We
find what we are looking for in life. If we are looking for things or people
to pick apart with others, sure enough, we'll find them. In fact, we'll even
begin a feeding frenzy if we are forceful enough.
 If we are looking for good conversations with one another, we'll find that,
too. And, we'll create a community of exchange with one another.

    I  think a place like this list should be a place where people who love
literature and writing feel at home and are not worried about being
corrected. This is a valuable resource, to have communications with others
who enjoy writing and sharing it with each other. I am very seldom ever
around blind people in my "real" life, and to be able to have good
conversations with other people who have sight loss is valuable to me.  I
appreciate this list so much and have learned a lot in the short time I have
been here. In fact, friends, I have even found the spell checker and I am
spell-checking my emails thanks to YOU.  lol

Lynda

Lynda Lambert

My Blog is about Fine Art and Sight Loss:
http://www.walkingbyinnervision.blogspot.com
My Website:  http://lyndalambert.com