[stylist] The real Challenge, PVS, sensitivity's aside

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sat Mar 31 17:18:58 UTC 2012

Here, here.
Donna

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Leslie Newman
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:36 AM
To: writers nfb
Subject: [stylist] The real Challenge, PVS, sensitivity's aside

My oh my you all

I'll try and make this short: The visualization I'm having is that I'm
sitting on top of a pyramid. As the chosen leader of this group, I feel I
have the support of many, their traits for what is currently needed defines
where they are within the groups structure. I know I need them all (we need
them all) and I value them all, their/our varying talents is what
contributes to our collective strength.

Speaking to our present point of stress here within STYLIST, I see that we
do have a challenge before us which in part has eluded definition and needs
to be clarified. Starting with what would be the intended outcome --- to
conduct our supportive business without any extreme stresses to our groups
structure. (Note I didn't say "without any stresses") And here is some of
what makes up the underlying pulse of this statement and leading up to the
challenge:

Writing, as you all know, isn't stress free --- healthy stress in learning
is healthy and needed.

Writing, to get better and better and good at it takes time and work --- the
willingness and/or motivation to invest in ourselves is so personal and at
times vulnerable (within ourselves, being both sensitive to others and not
"sensitive" to the many forms stress can take in the process of growth).

Writing, as a skill can be helped along by association with others who write
--- both in the process of being helped, or in helping your fellow writer.

Writing, as a form of communication has its own set of unique
characteristics --- in comparison to a face-to-face exchange, the keying out
and/or reading of words can lack the tonal nuances and the immediacy of
response and this trade can be at times good or bad.

And so in other words, the challenge I feel begs clarification is- When
putting yourself out there in our forum, STYLIST --- Find the words to make
this work.

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers' Division, president

http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

Chair of the NFB Communications Committee