[stylist] Annoying problems with Word 2007 and Jaws 13

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 22:33:09 UTC 2012

Hello, list.

I have been having some annoying problems with Word 2007 with Jaws 13 for a
while which I don't know how to solve.

First, when I type spaces or returns somehow I have the problem that when I
navigate my document Jaws says "paragraph mark" for both spaces and returns,
making it difficult to be sure what I might have done if I am trying to
check my work.I don't know what I might have accidently changed that caused
this.  This only happens in Word and not in something like Outlook such as
this email.

Another one I have been running into lately occurs when I'm developing
something such as chapter meeting or board meeting minutes.  If a document
is becoming more than one pagesome navigation issues are occurring.  If I
navigate line by line from page 1 suddenly Jaws will announce "page 3" and
read what is there.  I know page 2 is there because I can navigate there by
character or word.  Sometimes I will then have trouble then navigating by
line up to page 1.  I can again get there by character or word and Jaws will
announce page 1 or 2.  I don't know if Word is automatically inserting hard
page breaks or what is happening or how to fix it.

Another one which may or may not be related to the paragraph mark problem is
for example if I am writing a letter which will be printed that somehow I am
getting lines between parts of an address.  Jaws hasn't told me there are
blank lines even though I am not intending them to be there but someone with
vision told me they were present just the same.  This could be another
settings issue someplace that I don't know how to find.

This is bothersome to have some of this lack of control of things on my
computer.

I hope some of you have enough knowledge to help me get these problems
sorted out.

Bill Outman