[stylist] structure of tanka and haibun

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 00:00:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Well, Myrna shared with us some neat poetry stemming from a tanka structure.
I did not study poetry much. I’ve never written many. I recall learning to write a haiku in elementary school. From this list I learn that tankas exist—another Japanese poem form.

Myrna you said,
I'm not sure if haibun is considered a Japenese form or just an extension
of one... tanka and haiku of course both are.... You will find different
instructions on haibun as some will lean more to the modern haiku.

In my research I found that
a haibun is Japanese. It is a haiku with more lines. One site that had them was this
http://haibuntoday.haikuhut.com/ht44/Article_Woodward_Form.html

So if anyone wants to explain how to write a tanka and haibun, I’d like to hear it. I’ll also look it up.  My college english was more papers like argument papers, information based papers, and reading analysis. We did not get into poetry much. But I’m certainly curious. I might write some poems more. I like acrostics.

Ashley