[stylist] Haiku and Haibun

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Sat May 19 12:42:31 UTC 2012

You raised questions about Haiku and Haibun. I was curious too, so I did a bit of research this morning.

Here are some links for each poetic form. From there, you can follow other links in areas you might be interested in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haibun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku

Haibun means "writings"
Haiku means "verse"

There is a sound link with the definition of Haiku so you can her how to pronounce it correctly in Japanese.  OK, NOW, I will try to say it RIGHT...lol

Thanks for bringing this up - I think I will do some work in Haibun - I have done a lot of Haiku over the past 25 years but I have never done anything in Haibun. I have tried to follow the original format for the Haiku I have written, using the correct meter, and with every one focusing on an image of the season, yet without mention of that particular season. It is NOT Easy to do!

The book I have from Basho was a gift long ago - given to me by a friend in my poetry group. She passed away, and this little book is a treasure for me.

Lynda River Woman

I have a lovely book Oku no Hosomichi (Narrow Road to the Interior) by  17th century Japanese poet, Matsuo Basho, who was one prominent early writer of haibun. He wrote some haibun as travel accounts during his various journeys. His compositions are devoted to travel  and some character sketches, landscape scenes, anecdotal vignettes and occasional writings written to honor a specific patron or event.

Lynda Lambert
104 River Road
Ellwood City, PA 16117

724 758 4979