[stylist] Lynda's Tips for Successful Sestinas

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Thu May 24 18:43:26 UTC 2012

Lynda,
I have studied your tips and find it novel in a few respects, that is not
exactly fitting the definition. While I am aware that it does not have to be
iambic or pentameter, it does seem to insist on a particular meter and
length in each line. In other words, one line may not have four meters of
iambic, and the next three meters of trochaic.
I would like your comments on this as well as the other's poet's
understanding this quality of a sestina.
To me the challenge is not only making the line ending come out contributing
to terrific content, but keeping a consistent pattern in the lines.
The sestina I submitted to this group had one comment, and it made me know
the message of the content did not at all come through. It somehow got
translated as having to do with my son dying, and had nothing to do with him
at all. So I know I have much work to do.
However I would like clarification on the rules first.
Thanks, Jackie