[stylist] Gratitude, a Reflection

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Mon Nov 12 20:34:08 UTC 2012

OH, I well remember that movie. Natalie Wood starred in it - very beautiful
and sad story. I probably saw it several times over the years. I loved that
film. It was based on a true story that took place in Kansas during the
depression - the main character was a teenage girl whose family lost
everything when the stock market crashed. She had a mental illness and in my
mind it was one of the first times as a teenager myself, that I became aware
of mental illness. I remember it certainly does not have a happy Hollywood
ending to it.
You sure have a wonderful memory and now that you mentioned it I remember
it, too. Thanks for the memory!

This is off topic, Jackie, but this reminder of the film you mentioned
brings to my mind another film around that time that is forever embedded in
my mind. I believe it was called "On the Beach." I do not recall the actors,
but I do recall how it frightened me to the core - a deep fear that we all
had during those years growing up when we were drilled at school and taught
to hide under desks, run into basement bomb shelters,  and hit the ground
wherever we were when the "bomb" dropped.  I think that people my age who
grew up with this daily fear of being killed instantly have retained this
kind of dread inside of us forever. Just talking about this gives me shivers
all over again, after over 60 years of such drills in school. It leaves a
forboding kind of terror that never really goes away completely.

Lynda