[stylist] Let's get busy

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Mon Oct 22 03:33:39 UTC 2012

Yes, Lynda, I was referring to what you said.  Unfortunately the printed
word does make it look harsher than I intended it to sound like.  I guess
here's where my lack of study skills comes in because I take things at face
value that I read because I don't know how to read more into them.  For
instance, I look at Robert Burns poetry and say, "I can't read that stuff
because I don't understand the accent and the language" so I toss him aside
in frustration.  I look at Whitman and Brownings and Longfellow and ... and
think to myself, "I don't understand why these are classics when their
language is so (I can't think of the word)" so I toss them aside in
frustration.  And all the anthologies seem to have the same poems and the
same authors in them and I just wonder.  How do I begin even scratching the
surface of this stuff?
Just give me Ogden Nash and Edgar Guest, I guess.  However, I'd love to get
my hands on some of R. S. Gwynn's poems.  I've seen a few of his in recent
books but none of his stuff is in Braille any where.
Maybe when it comes to writing, I'm just not a deep thinker when it comes to
symbolism and stuff like that.  Concrete depth?  I can go there with the
best, but I'm not an abstruct thinker.

So, Lynda, don't waste your time thinking you've upset me or anything.  I'm
not that thin skinned -- just exceedingly frustrated with the whole reading
and writing thing lately.  Like you said, I may be trying to get to a
different level but yet don't know how to do it.
Barbara

Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. -- Carl Sandburg