[stylist] Desert Ghost attached here

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Wed Oct 24 23:09:42 UTC 2012

Eve, I have read this several times, over a couple of days now and I just
love it.  You know how I love a good Sestina! When it is GOOD, it is so
moving.  I love to read a Sestina aloud to get the effect of it's flow from
one place to the next, effortlessly.

this work  leaves me with such a feeling of  suspension - like I am there,
waiting in the darkness of the night, watching, breathing,  and listening
for "something."  It just feels RIGHT to me, to be standing here in this
place.

There is an overall color to this poem - grey.  I associated grey with the
Netherworld - a place where there is a repetition of movements over an
eternal and non-linear sense of time.  Timelessness and stillness, though
there is movement in the sky overhead, and on the earth where we stand. And,
yet, I have the sense of being under the earth and looking around in the
place where I stand, too.  In this place things are shifting and moving,
quietly, and yet, nothing has changed at all.  This space is larger than
North, South, East, and West - beyond boundaries that hold us here.

There is a feeling of being part of the natural world - an animal or a night
flying bird. Something that is hunting for prey in the darkness. Danger
lurking in the shadows. I feel a nervousness yet I am excited and delighted
to SEE this nocturnal performance.

And, the eyes that are looking! They are all-seeing eyes.

Just the sense of "ghost" makes us know that there is a merging of spirit
and matter.  The suprnatural has merged with the natural order of things in
this poem.

I am sure there is more, if I go back to that place again and have another
look. For now, this is what I have seen in your poem. Very well done!

Lynda who is busy pricing things for the Christmas Markets for the new
couple of days - wishing I could write, but knowing I cannot - yet.

Lynda Lambert